Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Bad throw out bearing.... Should I just get a whole new clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
lol guys, i posted the same link earlier in the thread...
Haha...there's full agreement on how good the DIY is.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Cat Fuсker

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
lol guys, i posted the same link earlier in the thread...
Shows how much attention I pay to your posts, Stu It is a great DIY though.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by StifflersMom
I wouldn't. It's a piece of cake compared to some of the other jobs out there. Like replacing synchros in a Saab.
But, in my opinion, you have quite a bit more experience than the average garage mechanic. Much can go wrong when cracking open and reassembling a transmission.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Cat Fuсker

Originally Posted by RonJ
But, in my opinion, you have quite a bit more experience than the average garage mechanic. Much can go wrong when cracking open and reassembling a transmission.
LOL... like some snap ring flying off trying to take your eye out? That kinda wrong?

Old 07-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

LOL... like some snap ring flying off trying to take your eye out? That kinda wrong?
That's some flippant awesomeness you have.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Cat Fuсker

Always wear gloves and eye protection. That's what stiffler's momma always tells kids.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Stiffy's momma is wise.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Cat Fuсker

Enough to not stick her boоbies in a vise

Old 07-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Enough to not stick her boоbies in a vise
Kinky

Old 07-23-2010, 11:37 AM
HCF Member

So a little more to the story. Instead of changing the input shaft bearing I ended up just changing out my whole transmission and upgrading it to a d16y8 tranny(the s8g one).

Soooo I did it all over again. It actually was a lot better because I had all the right tools this time (no going back and forth to auto parts stores looking for tools) and everything went pretty smoothly this time since I remembered what I was doing. Except for one god damn bolt which was stripped on the flywheel cover.

My friend and I literally tried everything to take that **** off. We PB Blasted the **** out of it and used vice grips and ratchets and wrenches and nothing worked. It was the tiny 10mm bolt and it was in the worst possible spot to try anything. We tried drilling it and sawing it(but there was no room for the saw to fit). In the end my friend ended up buying a dremel and we literally cut off the whole head of the bolt and pulled the cover off. It took a day and half just for that one bolt.

So anyways everything went smoothly after that and we put in the new transmission and put everything back together. The transmission runs very good. I couldn't even feel the gears locking into place in the old one or the synchros in it, but this feels so much better. Now I have another problem. When I turn on the car it makes a really loud screeching sound. Like the starter isn't hitting the flywheel right. I had the same problem when I changed the clutch, but it wasn't as loud as it is now.

When I changed the clutch(the first time) and the starter made the sound, I just took off the starter and repositioned it and put it back on and it went away. Now this time I tried pulling off the starter and putting it back on again and it's still making that damn sound! I don't think it's a bad starter because It was perfectly fine before I changed out the transmission. I can't win with this car. I try to fix one thing and something else just ends up going wrong right after.

Does anyone have any ideas?