Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

D16z6 or D16y8 build?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default D16z6 or D16y8 build?

ok well heres the thing.......
ive found a D16z6 engine localy that says 250bucks OBO...

and well my civic currently has a D16y8 BUT id like to smooth and paint the whole engine block assembly....
so im curious...... if i buy the D16z6 is the block and sensors all the same so i could simply swap my Y8 intake on the Z6 block and all my sensors and such...

or will they not be compatible?

i realy just want to rebuild the motor and maybe get alittle more power outat it if i can and mainly smooth the block and paint it as well as the tranny. the tranny i dont wanna rebuild cause its not needed BUT i think pulling the motor and tranny just to paint it is kindaa waste of time since my civic is my daily driver and gas prices suck! so im looken for the very smallest down time as i can!!!!!!!!!!!

i see that the Z6 has alittle less power but not sure if my intake and head swap will get that power back or not.

im thinking to offer 100-150bucks for the motor cause its not garented just says WAS running when pulled... but we all know how that COULD BE....

Old 05-23-2007, 05:03 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: D16z6 or D16y8 build?

If thats your only mode of transportation, don't do it. Theres a lot of littel things that come up during a swap, check out my project thread for soem specifics.

What all comes on the z6? Is it 100 complete? You'll obvoiusly have to convert to OBD1 and run the proper ecu, other than that MOST of the y8 plugs/sensors match up. Dizzies are different so you'll either need to re-pin the plugs or get a ry-wire conversion for that too. I could go on and on, but most of this is in my thread so just check that out

Old 05-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: D16z6 or D16y8 build?

WELL ITS NOT MY ONLY CAR NA..... i got like 3 other vehicles....

and well what if i just use the engine block and swap the head from my motor? would all the lower block and internals be the same to work with my head and electronics?

this is what the motor is pictured..

if the lower engine block and internals are the same as my D16y8 then after i smooth down the outside of the block and then get the block boiled out and will paint it and then put all new components inside it.... and THEN i can pull my motor and swap my head onto it and just clean internal head since i believe the seals and valves are still good.

id just hate to pull my motor out and spend all that time painting it and THEN if the motor has problems id have to redue it all again....

i dont think the head would be gone for to long geting rebuilt if i felt like paying for it...

BUT if the blocks are different and i cannt just do my headswap to it then i guess ill have to have my pull and paint idea and hope i dont have any problems with the motor.....

i mean id LIKE to get some more power outta the motor.... BUT my auto holds back alot of power and i know that......