Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

engine sludge or not sure

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 04:15 AM
HCF Member
Question engine sludge or not sure

I have Honda Civic 1997 I got this car when was 187k on it is up to 212k now I been on top of the maintenance since I got her. I dunno how well previous owner took care of the car, but I did transmission flush this year and I change oil on time. but yesterday did my typical oil change and the dude show me my oil claim have "sludge" and the oil is pitch black was first time they told me about it. he wanted 100 buck flush my engine clean it out... I'm kind of concern I haven't got any problem with engine since I got this car...

Old 10-02-2010, 06:59 AM

meh, I couldnt tell ya if you should or should not do the flushing, but I would suggest doing it yourself since it is fairly easy if you want to have it done. It would end up being a lot cheaper, too.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:19 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
meh, I couldnt tell ya if you should or should not do the flushing, but I would suggest doing it yourself since it is fairly easy if you want to have it done. It would end up being a lot cheaper, too.

oh... I wouldn't mine doing it... is there DIY in the forum?

thank you ur reply.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:13 AM

Jack up the car, open the 17mm oil drain bolt on the bottom of the pan, allow oil to drain out, pour engine stuff in, it will also drain out the oil pan. Re install 17mm bolt onto oil pan once everything has drained out and re-fill vehicle with new oil.

That's really what I am thinking they do on those services. They have the engine cleaning stuff (sorry for lack of a better term) at your local Pepboys etc. I would read over the directions on the bottle, too.

Anyways.. you are saying the mechanic showed you black oil... when was the last oil change done?

If you stay on top of your oil changes (one every 4500 miles at least), you will have no problems with sludge and the car will last. Also, with 212K miles, I would start to worry about the piston rings starting to go and allowing the motor to burn oil.

Edit: Also, if you have a 5spd, stop by the Honda dealership, pick up two quarts of Manual Trans Fluid and drain and re-fill your trans. I would not suggest putting any of that "extra" cleaning stuff in the trans as you would do for the motor though.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:46 PM
HCF Member

^ Isn't the manual transmission fluid just engine oil??

Old 10-03-2010, 04:12 PM
HCF Member

would what they use for an engine flush be kind of equivalent to Seafoam?

Old 10-03-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by BurningRubber
^ Isn't the manual transmission fluid just engine oil??
Some have used it, but genuine Honda MTF is the best IMO.

Originally Posted by MaximusFunk
would what they use for an engine flush be kind of equivalent to Seafoam?
No clue. Never done anything like that before, but seafoam would be a good way to clean stuff out if used properly.