Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

ever feel like the world hates you? (long story)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 04:02 PM
HCF Member
Default ever feel like the world hates you? (long story)

on my way home yesterday, I pushed in the clutch and the rpm didnt drop. then i pressed the brake too and i could tell the clutch wasnt disengaging. well, i popped it into neutral and coasted into a gas station. my wife came and picked me up and we went and met up with my brother and we went to tow it home. well when we got there he thought the clutch fluid was low or something simple, but i couldnt explain to him how i knew it wasnt that, so i told him to get in and start it with the clutch pushed in. it started right up w/o moving. what the hell. so i jumped in and we started home when it did it again about 4 blocks later, so i limped it home by starting it in gear and rolling out of the lights that way, then rev-matching to shift gears. we got it home and started tearing it apart at about 4pm (i had to get up for work at 5:15am, and no calling in) so after running around for tools and parts, we got it apart and i thought it might be the pressure plate bolts were loose, so i started to check them. as i was turning the flywheel, i heard something *tink* inside of the pressure plate. now i knew i had to pull it off and inspect the clutch and pressure plate. the damn spring broke out of the hub and fell down between the pressure plate and clutch, locking them. but i didnt have a clutch alignment tool to install a spare one i had layin around, so we went to pep boys and i told them i wanted a clutch kit for a 94 del sol dohc vtec. well, they didnt have one but the other pepboys a few miles away had 2. ok. ill rush over there and catch them at 8:30, right before they close. no problem. well, i got there and they had one of the HR people back at the parts counter. she had no idea what she was doing. so i ended up getting the clutch kit after explaining it 15-20 times what kit i needed, then i went home and carefully sliced open the little baggy to get the alignment tool out, then i could use it, clean it, and put it back and return the kit. well. she had inadvertantly given me the damn SOHC del slo clutch. so we tried wrapping tape around it to get it to the right diameter to center it with the b-series clutch. first try, torqued down the pressure plate, and i crawled under the car and basically bench pressed the trans up into place and held it there, where we tried to line up the input shaft to slide it into place. no dice. we had to pull the pressure plate off and tried again. got it this time. damn. got it back together and running. i made it to work no problem, but 4 hours of crappy sleep isnt enough. has anyone heard of this before? damn, i hope this doesnt happen to anyone else, what a pain in the butt. ill post pics of the busted clutch later on today, i gotta go take a nap.