Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

K20A engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 06:43 PM
HCF Member
Default K20A engine

i have a 99 DX coupe and was looking at putting a bigger engine in it. I was looking at this b/c it supposedly has 230 HP. but before i wanna buy i want to know what my upgrade options could be, like a turbo and a NOS system, would i have to replace the pistons, cranckshaft, ect. so it doesnt get damaged? or can it take the forced injection

Old 03-18-2005, 07:50 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: K20A engine

i hope you have a big trust fund. that motor is expensive as hell, the mount kit is expensive as hell, the wiring is a royal pain, and its only been done a few times, so its all new to most people who do it. the aftermarket parts are expensive and still kinda hard to find, and the compression is so high that turbo or nitrous is pushing your luck. it can be done, but it will take some good tuning and fuel management, which will also cost a bit. you'd be better off with a gsr motor and a turbo kit. oh yeah, and the K20a is closer to 220 hp, at the highest.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:22 PM
HCF Member

well im still in high school my parents paid for the car and they pay most of the insurance

but yeah, the engine w/ the tranny costs almost as much as the car did itself. how about the B18c gsr? any advice on that?

Old 03-19-2005, 11:49 AM
HCF Member

great motor, a lot of fun, and a ton of power potential. but if youre still in high-school, ill give you the same advice i usually do. you dont need that much power to have fun. ive seen too many kids cream themselves to suggest that a young guy get a DOHC VTEC. i know that if i had gotten mine 3-4 years ago like i wanted, i would have wrecked my car. im lucky i didnt manage it with my sohc non-vtec. but get an extra set of rims, and put a set of nice, expensive hoosiers on them, and go out and start competing in local autocross events. you will learn car control techniques that are invaluable for street driving. but if you cant afford dedicated track tires, you can still even do it with your street tires. and its still a ton of fun. go to scca.com and find some Solo events near you. it is the most fun you will have with your car, even if its dead stock. and most of the people out there are nice enough to give you driving pointers and advice. you may even find someone who will give you a ride or even drive YOUR car, to help you get techniques down.