Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Rebuilding...

Old 02-13-2007, 07:11 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Rebuilding...

ORIGINAL: cderalow

i think this is the 2nd or 3rd time this guy has asked a bunch of noobish questions about stuff... like where to find k20 etc...
you dont need to be a big ******* about it. im on here to learnabout how to do things thats the purpose of this forum. if im irritatingyou then go to a different section and dont reply to my posts.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:50 PM

ORIGINAL: johnb

P.S. I DO NOT WANT TO BUY AN OLD CAR TO PART FROM.... just want to make what i have sick as ****....
I always get a kick out of this line. That motor sucks, and the car's heavy, but you probably know it. Best shot you have to do anything with that motor: Crower rods, CP/Wiseco pistons, full headwork, full custom turbo kit, AEM standalone + tune, then the drivetrain. All said and done probably cost youabout 6-7 grand in parts alone, then labor for everything, and it still may not even last you very long if you don't know what you're getting into.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:52 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: cderalow

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

ORIGINAL: drbyers

if that's the case then hotter cams, beefier pistons/rods and block sleeving are needed (which will help if you ever turbo).
.....wish somebody would explain sleeving to me[&:]
sleeving is the concept of boring out and machining the area around the cylinders to a wide diameter, and then placing precisely machines tubes of stronger metal in these slots...

the idea being replacing the not so strong stock engine block material with a stronger more durable layer right around the piston.

you can also increase displacement at the same time
oooh, i thought that was called boring an engine out.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:13 AM

^ You can only bore so far before you have to sleeve.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:07 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Kedawei

ORIGINAL: johnb

P.S. I DO NOT WANT TO BUY AN OLD CAR TO PART FROM.... just want to make what i have sick as ****....
I always get a kick out of this line. That motor sucks, and the car's heavy, but you probably know it. Best shot you have to do anything with that motor: Crower rods, CP/Wiseco pistons, full headwork, full custom turbo kit, AEM standalone + tune, then the drivetrain. All said and done probably cost youabout 6-7 grand in parts alone, then labor for everything, and it still may not even last you very long if you don't know what you're getting into.
if i do all that is it going to make my red line later? like 8 or 9? and would you recommend doing this or buying a k20?? thank you for all of your help.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:39 PM

I would not be comfortable reving (or modding) a D17 that high. K20 would be a way better way to go.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:34 PM
mxs
HCF Member

k-series are much better engines than D17

Old 02-14-2007, 10:09 PM
HCF Member

i would not feel comfortable building a d17 for boost unless you sleeve and bore...or shorten up the stroke. its not exactly a good bore/stroke ratio for boost.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:38 PM
HCF Member

OR
ORIGINAL: Nail I3unny

i would not feel comfortable building a d17 for boost unless you sleeve and bore...or shorten up the stroke. its not exactly a good bore/stroke ratio for boost.

Its not a good motor to screw with heavily to begin with.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:33 AM
HCF Member

alright...that sucks lol thanks for ur guys' help though..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rebuilding...