Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Rebuilding a y7 head

Old 11-11-2009, 04:38 AM
Default Rebuilding a y7 head

I'm wanting to get some practical wrench time in on my engine. Since my valve seals are trash, I'm picking up a cheap spare y7 head to work on for a swap. I wanna basically go for a factory rebuild, check to see if it's all in spec, replace all the gaskets, etc. I'm gonna go pick up a few tools and I was wondering what all I need. Like, is there really that much pressure on the valve springs that I need a spring compressor? What other tools will come in handy, etc. I plan on glancing through the service manual and using it as a guide.

(And yeah, a mini me did come to mind. But I've decided that this 4 door, having been wrecked 4 times, is not the cleanest platform for any kind of real performance work.)

Old 11-11-2009, 06:01 AM
Chubby Chaser

body work has nothing to do with power, vtec yo!, you can pretty much get the y8 head for the same cost,it will add hp.
but yes you will need a spring compressor them damn little springs hold a lot of power, and it will be 100x easier. i suggest getting it shaved and have then do a 3 angle valve job after you strip the head before replacing the seals. it will give your valves a better seal.