Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

shaking not sure what it is...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Default shaking not sure what it is...

Hey guys i can usually do repair maintenance and plenty of other crap with my car and have no trouble, i am going to ATC in the fall so i should better knowledge of any car then but until that time im having some shakin in my honda civic ex. Ill be doing a steady speed 40 or 50 or w/e and ill start to increase speed and the car shakes, not terribly like its not the tires i checked pressure and they still have 80% good tread on them and the rotors are tight as well as calipers. So i dont think its anything like that shaking. I cant figure it out, i changed the fuel filter about ..feb and the wires i have never done yet but i have changed plugs once and ive had it a year now, never had trouble before it could just be telling me it needs a good tune up? or could it be the timing belt? i really cant figure out what it is, like i said the whole car doesnt shake horribly its just like stuttering and i can feel it in my seat a lot its actually quite annoying. thanks for any help its appreciated.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:12 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: shaking not sure what it is...

so is the motor shaking, or is the entire car shaking when you reach a certain speed? try to explain it a little more so people can further help you.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:16 AM

id say from the way it feels in my seat its probably the car shaking. like i said its not a really large shake. like lets say im doing 50 in 4th gear ill start picking up speed and it starts the shaking then ill shift to 5th and it will smooth out, its like it just doesnt want to pick up speed as easily there is stuttering.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:34 AM
HCF Member

huh,so its not something vibration based? like alignment? it seems your saying the fuelgoing to the engine has"air gaps" causing somestuttering in the engine? air gaps is not really a term ,im just trying to get a feel 4 wats happening. 50km or 50 mph.im in canada so just wondering.50 in 4th sounds low. wats ur rpms at when the car shakes? and wat school is ATC? thx

Old 07-14-2007, 07:41 AM
HCF Member

when i said alignment , i should have said tire balance,but like i said just trying to get the feel of wat kind of shake u got going on.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:50 AM

i had an alignment done about month ago, ATC is automotive traning center in exton,pa that is where a lot of people i know have gone to school 3 of them work at mercedes now making 70k a year which aint bad so i have faith in the school. anyways im gonna go take a ride now and right down where im gettin these vibrations and im gonna pick up new plugs and wires and new gas filter while im out just to see if that will clear it out then ill get back to you guys after that.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:04 PM
HCF Member

check your axles could have a cracked one they will stabilize when cruising but acceleration will cause a shake

Old 07-14-2007, 12:26 PM
HCF Member

it's engine related if you have different vibrations after changing gears, if it's constant after a certain speed, then you need an alignment.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:57 PM

thanks for all the suggestions guys like i said i only had an alignment not even 2 months ago. well yesterday i went and broke out some money and got platinum plugs, no newwires yet didnt have enough on me and then im gettin a new gas filter tomorrow. Well the plugs gave me a much better starting reaction cause it was a little sluggish so now its good, the shaking seemed to smooth out some. its really just hard to explain to you all id rather it be more of a shake then this little annoying one cause i get so damn pissed when it starts doing it and its such a small thing that it just kills me. if the filter and wires dont work then maybe ill try another alignment. But the latest news now is that my friend has a b18 from an integra with transmission harness and all included i just havent seen it yet to see how it looks appearance wise and i wanna check compression on it too but if i do get that then i will replace the axle with the one from the integra so that might solve the shaking if i cant get it figured out. thanks again for help fellas have a good one

Old 07-16-2007, 08:36 AM
HCF Member

good luk. im in the ATC here in toronto,canada. wasnt sure if its was the samething. sounds like it is.