Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Speedometer Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Exclamation Speedometer Issues

Hi, I joined the forum because I need help with a speedometer problem and figured someone else may know how to help?

I have a 2000 Honda Civic DX. It runs well, but the speedometer went out. Basically, about 90% of the time it is stuck at 20 mph. It will bounce around a little bit, but for the most part stays between 18 and 22 mph no matter how fast/slow I'm driving. Also, when the speedometer gets "stuck," the odometer stops tracking mileage. For the time being, I was just trying to estimate my speed, but apparently that method failed today when I got a speeding ticket... oops.

My brother is a mechanic, and said it may be the speed sensor (which is also called a VSS?), but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem that was fixed by replacing this? I'm a (poor) full time student at a very expensive school, so I want to make sure I don't replace it if it's not necessary.

And comments/suggestions/ideas would help!!
Thanks

Old 05-21-2009, 03:06 PM

if i had to guess i would say its the vss
do you have any cels (is the check engine light or abs light on?)

Old 05-22-2009, 06:29 AM

No, the check engine light/abs, etc are not on. also, the gas gauge works perfectly fine. the temperature always seems to be pointing the exact same spot as where the 20 mph is (they point directly toward eachother) I'm not sure if that's an issue or not, it's at about 1/3, which I hear is normal for temperature... so I have no idea if that's just a coincidence or not.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The VSS sits atop the transmission. Start by unplugging the VSS connector and checking it for corrosion or liquid contamination. Also look for any damaged wires.

Does the CEL work? It should turn ON for 2 seconds and then OFF when the key is turned to ON(II).

Old 05-23-2009, 07:42 AM

my bro took out the vss and said that it looked ok, he's a mechanic and said it might be that, but he would have to check to see the pricing/scrap availability/etc.... the check engine light does work, it just goes off shortly after i start the ignition.

i feel like it is the vss, but it looks fine according to my mechanic brother... nothing visibly wrong (corrosion, etc). I just want to get this figured out, so i'll have him try a new vss. i'd rather figure it out than take it to a shop, they always seem to overcharge clueless girls like me.

thanks for the help, i'll give the new vss a try.