Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

valve lash or oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Default valve lash or oil pump?

Alright, here is what I am getting. I have a 96 civic EX with the D16y8 and I just noticed a slight ticking near the dizzy when I rev up from 1000-1800 rpms and I was just wondering if it might be valve lash or if I should be worried about my oil pump. I have been hearing horror stories about the oil pumps. I am pushing 140k right now, and don't really want to be rebuilding right away. I want to be doing to timing belt soon anyways, so I will see if the valve clearances are right, but I don't really know too much about the oil pump and that engine. I have never done one, and also, is there an aftermarket one that helps with oil distribution, or do I have to change to an OBD1 block to acheive that. Also, what kind of cam should I be thinking about for this engine. I am planning the Edelbrock turbo kit soon, so I don't want anything too enourmous, and I don't really want to change out too much on the head to take it. Should I be looking at a stage 1 or stage 2, give me some ideas please.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: valve lash or oil pump?

i know that my car never ust to tick and then i put some of that injector cleaner(not seafoam) in, it was like 30 bucks a bottle and then after like a week the car ran great but not ticks from idle to about 1500rpms, waiting for my rc310cc injectors to come in and see if thats the problem if not im gonna go a valve check... try your injectors as well like put some sea foam in the tank and see if the tick goes away..

Old 06-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Default RE: valve lash or oil pump?

thanks I will try that, but man I am telling you, if you put your head right by the dizzy, it sounds like the damn thing is coming apart almost. I mean, it isn't that bad, I am exaggerating a bit, but it never did that before. My car did sit for about 2 years, lost my license, and on top of that it wasn't run as much as I would have liked to, so maybe it is my cam with a flattened lobe. I will try that though, thanks man.