Fuel Economy Discuss tips and tricks for better fuel ecomony.

front brake conversion to drum

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 03:55 PM

I suspect he's some sort of spammer. Made 9 pretty much worthless posts.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:05 PM

It was like 15 before I started merging all the ones next to each other. haha.

I sent him a PM about the random, nothing-to-add posts to old(-er) threads. Basically, just mentioning it is frowned upon and to mind the most recent post date etc etc etc.

If anything, he is a backdoor spammer eventually going to bring up a topic that has to do with a particular company. Meaning he will start making a lot of credibility posts, then start the back door spammage using links and saying "is this a good product?" just to get people to start thinking about that company and their products.

Originally Posted by jrnsr
"this is ridiculous.."
...another moron's opinion. I guess they'll let any cretin post insults here.
Yes, technically we have to, since it is a public forum. You will always find people who don't like an idea and complain about it. However, the difference between his post and your post commenting about his is that you are directly "attacking" (for lack of a better word) him verbally by calling him a moron while he is expressing an opinion. I have done similar on other public forums and received infractions for it. lol

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 12-15-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Chubby Chaser

putting drums on the front of a car is like removing fuel injection and putting a carb... pointless...

you mentioned about friction with disc brakes but did you even think about friction from the wheel bearings or even the wind resistance of the body design ... there is so much more important things you could be doing to "improve" mileage then going back in time and downgrading technology by putting drums on the front... so to me yes this thread is ridiculous.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:33 PM

I've never seen it done or heard of it even thought of. Good luck finding drums that will bolt to the knuckle. As far as I know, there aren't any front drum Hondas around to pull this off of.

"this is ridiculous.."
Try posting this over on another Honda forum and see the responses you'll get... It'll be quite hilarious actually so please do and link us so I can enjoy them ripping you a new one.

So how far will you go to save a buck in gas that you will severly downgrade your perfectly good disk brake setup and begin to risk your life and more importantly others? What's next, shaving weight by removing your bumper cross members?

Old 12-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
or even the wind resistance of the body design
I already mentioned aerodynamics but he seems to have ignored my post. Because obviously the slight contact between pads and rotors is much more important for fuel economy than lowering drag. At 0.29 Cd, the CRX is already slippery, but that doesn't mean improvements can't be made. Lower the car, flat underbody, extended tail, enclosed wheel wells, etc.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:51 AM
HCF Member

I am in the process of generating a patent on a rotor that can relieve the drag through increased thermal expansion, not to mention having much lower mass, moment of inertia and pound for pound, the highest thermal capacity.
Over a decade ago, I'd run our '87 CRX on the road, normally aspirated, on 2 cylinders. I've wanted to convert another Honda to run on the 2 outside cylinders, utilizing the 2 center cylinders for combined intake every stroke (welding & regrinding cam) to boost the running cylinders up to 14 psi. Then I may tack on a turbo. ...am fabricating my own custom jet plugs to prevent detonation and also piston melt (not the same thing).
Anyone else read this? I don't know this guy at all, but based on what he's said before, I don't think he's a half-asser, and knows a thing or two about engineering.

I'm happy to wait through his R&D to find out if he's on to something, or merely on something, before I pass judgement.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:08 AM
July 2010 ROTM

"this is ridiculous.."
Dont sweat the dude above you. He has a whopping 9 post count. Most of the regulars will respect your plans even if they dont agree with them.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:09 PM

yeah i agree you really sound like you know what your doing dude only an ignorant man would insult a well thought out plan sounds like fun to me

Old 11-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Banned

This is a joke right?

Old 11-13-2012, 01:41 PM

No need to bump a thread to ask a pointless question.

Locking this thread. Someone can PM me if they want it re-opened to continue a logical discussion.