Fuel Economy Discuss tips and tricks for better fuel ecomony.

Mixing fuels

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Default Mixing fuels

I got interested in hydrogen gas as a supplemental fuel for automobiles 4 years ago and since then I have been fascinated and compelled to design a reliable and safe system.
My first attempts with hydrogen production were somewhat successful.
I used electrolysis to produce the hydrogen and fed it to the intake of a engine.
With some trial and error, several types of electrolyzers where built and most ended there live as scrap. But one made the final cut, it was tested and tested and adjusted until I was satisfied and it was installed in my car.
I was able to achieve a 15% mileage increase and a better running cleaner burning engine. This unit lasted about 4 months and started to leak electrolyte, this led to structural problems and the demise of the unit shortly after.
Several more units where built but with no success and previous results could not be achieved so I decided to take a different approach and direct inject the hydrogen into the engine as if it where gasoline.
The best way to do this was to use fuel injectors one in each intake runner and time the hydrogen injection with the gasoline injectors so they both open and close at the same time.
By the proper placement of the injectors, very little hydrogen will be in the intake plenum at any given time, so intake backfires will be less likely.
This is controlled and calculated by the Ecm (engine control module) and seems to be the most logical solution to a very difficult problem.
Fuel curve maps show the amount and duration of fuel being injected; the hydrogen can be trimmed by regulating the pressure 1 to 5 pounds at the injector. At this time a manual adjustable regulator is all-funding will allow.
Hydrogen is stored in the trunk of the car in a industrial tank that is safe and easily filled.
80 cubic feet of hydrogen will last about 30 days according to the miles I drive weekly. At a cost of one dollar per day, the savings well outweighs the cost.
My goal is 50 mpg; I am averaging 42.5 mpg now with no hydrogen.
Please note the test vehicle I am using is a four cylinder 5 speed with 250,000 miles on it, and a free flowing exhaust and air intake system has been added.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:30 PM

I'm sort of curious about this. Do you have any pictures of the setup?

Old 11-17-2010, 08:31 AM
HCF Member

Umm...What is the model & year of the car you're using this fuel on?
If you say 5th or 6th gen civic..I'll buy your recipe for $5!
It may not seem like alot..but do you know how much penny candy you can get for $5??!?!!?

Old 11-28-2010, 04:25 PM
HCF Member

Please post a photo of your real work so I can be a believer to your words.