General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

92 Civic LX trouble starting "cold"

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Default 92 Civic LX trouble starting "cold"

I have a 92 Civic LX. It gets into a no-start mode for weeks or months at a time and right now it is real bad.

After it sits over night (regardless of the weather, temp, humidity, etc.) it is hard to very hard to start. It cranks but doesn't start. After a LOT of cranking and some starter fluid and eventually it starts. Often it then dies after a few minutes and argues some more about starting. Then the rest of the day it's fine. It starts and runs fine, etc.

The computer shoots out a different error code every time so that's no help. Between the error codes and guessing, I and Honda mechanics have replaced about every gizmo sensor jobber thingie under the hood.

My thinking is that it is a fuel related problem because the starter fluid helps and then when it runs it runs fine. So I don't think that it's the dist or the ECU or anything like that.

In fact I got a used ECU and it does the same thing so both would have to have the identical problem. I have NOT replaced the fuel pump though it seems fine since it runs fine all day.

For what it's worth though, it seems like the fuel line empties back into the tank and fills with air (no leaks) and thus it just doesn't get gas to the injector system at first. If that is what is happening maybe it is a fault in the fuel pump - ?? I know that sounds goofy but if you have any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks