General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Civic Si. How is it in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 05:35 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Civic Si. How is it in the snow?

ORIGINAL: ruhdwulf
Still new to the Si... and I'm wondering how it is going to be in the snow. I can already tell it's gonna take some gentle feathering in of the clutch if I hope to do anything but sit there and spin.
Does the VSA help at all on pulling away from a standstill? Is it of any benefit for traction control in snow? Or, for that matter, on wet pavement?
Thanks for any insights and experience.
Mike
Driving in snow isn't just about getting going. You also need to consider braking and cornering. I'd also be pondering whether or not I wanted to drive a nice car in the winter, what with the roadsalt and sliding cars around me. I'd be tempted to get a beater Wrangler with some siped mudders on it. I run Trxus MTs through drifts taller than my hood. I don't even need 4WD most of the time in the onroad snow. Braking traction is excellent in snow and rain too. With the height of the doorsills, I don't have to shovel to get into the Jeep after the plow comes by either. If somebody slides into my old Jeep...oh well.

Barring a beater 4x4...If chains are allowed where you live, definitely keep a set in the car. If studs are allowed, and you plan to drive the Civic, I'd be looking for some snowtires to stud. I'd also shave any extra weight from the back end of the car, to reduce the load that the front wheels have to pull.

If studs or chains aren't allowed, and you plan to drive the Civic, at least get some decent snowtires on cheap steelies. This will protect your nice rims and tires from the ravages of winter, as well as making the Civ handle safer. Get the smallest rims that will clear your brakes, then find the tallest narrow snowtire like the Blizzak WS-50 that will fit your car on those rims. This will give your Civ the best traction, with the best clearance, at the best price. All-season tires are not even close to the same class as dedicated snowtires for winter driving.

With decent snowtires, you should be able to take your Civ down most city streets without major issues. Rural roads or uphills may be an issue during heavy snows though. Leave those for the lifted 4x4s.