General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Coilovers, or springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 09:30 PM
HCF Member
Default Coilovers, or springs?

I'm making this 'list'. More-so a "To-do" list for 2008, for my Civic. I've been adding alot that I want to get done, and now i've gotten to suspension. And i've researched some stuff, but I figured i'd go and ask, just for the hell of it.

So, would I be better off with springs, or coilovers? Since I hear springs are pre-adjusted, and can't be adjusted.. And are cheaper than coilovers. But coilovers are just like, the 'better' version of springs, that are adjustable, right? And they are more expensive.

So i've found out Tein is a good set for coilovers/springs, and I heard Skunk2 and Eibach are pretty good too, any responses to those two brands? Basically, what would everyone recommend? And what are other upgrades that are worthy for suspension? All I got is coilovers/springs, and strut bars .

I have a 2001 Civic LX, if that helps any . But, I appreciate any help I can get, and stuff.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Default RE: Coilovers, or springs?

hey those brands are good i found some drop zone coilovers they are good

Old 02-02-2008, 11:19 PM
HCF Member

http://www.norcalcrx.org/tyson/coilover.htmlyour welcome

Old 02-03-2008, 05:43 AM
HCF Member

If you see snow, go with adjustable coilovers, so you can raise the car back up in the winter.

Don't forget adjustable anti-swaybars and lower H-braces. I'd even look into poly bushings, if your stockers are worn.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:08 AM

of those u mentioned, go with the Tein coilovers.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:32 AM
HCF Member

Mmm.. Thanks Live_4it, that helped alot :P.

I found some nice Ground Control coilovers for $340, up to a 2.5" drop. That seems kinda cheap, for coilovers..? Especially seeing how Tein's are priced pretty high. So they might be out of my price range..
Right now, i'm leaning towards the Ground Control ones, for $340, or a set of Tein springs that are 1.4" front and 1.3" back drop, for $190. I'm getting 17" rims/tires when this weather clears up, and it gets warmer. So I know i'd have to wait to get my rims/tires before getting the springs/coilovers. I don't think a 1.4"/1.3" drop would be too bad.. But i'd have to wait and measure the clearance on the new wheels. But what Kommando said, makes me want to get coilovers, since I live in Illinois, and I see alot of snow usually in the winter.. So I might be better off spending the extra $150 or so, for coilovers.

Also, should I upgrade my shocks/struts too, if I get coilovers/springs? I hear some people recommend it, and i'd be better off doing so.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:41 AM
HCF Member

Well it wouldn't hurt to get struts, they are a important part of your suspension upgrade setup

Old 02-03-2008, 08:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Vilex

Mmm.. Thanks Live_4it, that helped alot :P.

I found some nice Ground Control coilovers for $340, up to a 2.5" drop. That seems kinda cheap, for coilovers..? Especially seeing how Tein's are priced pretty high. So they might be out of my price range..
Right now, i'm leaning towards the Ground Control ones, for $340, or a set of Tein springs that are 1.4" front and 1.3" back drop, for $190. I'm getting 17" rims/tires when this weather clears up, and it gets warmer. So I know i'd have to wait to get my rims/tires before getting the springs/coilovers. I don't think a 1.4"/1.3" drop would be too bad.. But i'd have to wait and measure the clearance on the new wheels. But what Kommando said, makes me want to get coilovers, since I live in Illinois, and I see alot of snow usually in the winter.. So I might be better off spending the extra $150 or so, for coilovers.

Also, should I upgrade my shocks/struts too, if I get coilovers/springs? I hear some people recommend it, and i'd be better off doing so.
the Ground Controls arnt full coilovers, just sleeves. that means it'd be a real good idea to buy a good set of aftermarket shocks. same goes with if u just got springs, upgrade the shocks..

Old 02-03-2008, 08:56 AM
HCF Member

One a 7th gen civic like u got tein springs are great if u dont want much drop and u can even keep ur stock struts with those... but if ur wanting more drop than a 1.3 than its best to go with full coilovers (not just sleeves)...also if u do go with teins u will want 18's not 17's cause the wheel gap whill be big with 17's unless u get a big tire...