General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Compressor/AC question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Question Compressor/AC question

The compressor on my sister's 99 DX seized. The AC was working fine before this happened. The compressor belt burned off as a result. What would I need to make the AC work again? Could I just swap compressors and get the system cleared and refilled? And is it a royal PITA to replace the compressor belt?

[edit] bah, probably should have put this under general tech help. sorry.

Last edited by WellFedHobo; 08-24-2008 at 09:23 PM. Reason: i am retarded
Old 08-24-2008, 09:40 PM

it's pretty easy.
you just loosen the p/s belt and a/c belt, and then drain the a/c and remove the compressor (6 bolts total), and replace. make sure you replace the accumulator/drier, and do it last. then get evac/recharge

Old 08-25-2008, 06:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member

After a compressor has torn itself apart and seized you probably have some metal debris in the system that will ruin the new compressor unless removed. Replace the condenser, as it is nearly impossible to clean. Replace the receiver drier, it is an expendable part like an oil filter and is to be replaced with any major service. Flush out the lines. Take the evaporator box out and inspect the TXV screen, finding metal there replace TXV and flush the evaporator.

I think you can still buy the entire A/C kit from Majestic for about $500, and just replace every part that handles refrigerant.

The belt is not too complicated. The main thing is you'll need to jack up the car and remove the wheel, then unbolt the motor mount so the belt can go around it. The engine will stay in place with that mount undone, as it is just to stabilize it against torque. The big one up at the timing cover supports the weight of the engine.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
After a compressor has torn itself apart and seized you probably have some metal debris in the system that will ruin the new compressor unless removed. Replace the condenser, as it is nearly impossible to clean. Replace the receiver drier, it is an expendable part like an oil filter and is to be replaced with any major service. Flush out the lines. Take the evaporator box out and inspect the TXV screen, finding metal there replace TXV and flush the evaporator.

I think you can still buy the entire A/C kit from Majestic for about $500, and just replace every part that handles refrigerant.
I agree. I wasn't thinking about that in my first post.