General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Couple of quick Noob Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:19 AM
tah
Default Couple of quick Noob Questions...

I'm looking for an older Civic for a DD. My other cars just use too much gas.

I've budgeted $3000 ~ $4000 for this and need some advice.

Here's what I HAVE to have.....coupe & 5 speed

I don't care about vtec

Looks like my budget will get me something from around 1997 to 2001

Here are my questions:

1) Are there any models/engines you would avoid.
2) Are there any models/engines you would prefer?
3) What are the main trouble spots on these cars to look for (other than the usual used car things like slipping clutch, pulling suspension, motor noises, oil/cooant/fluid leaks). I'm looking for Civic Specific items to watch out for...

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks

Old 04-14-2012, 11:16 AM
HCF Member

Sounds like you're in the market for an EK Civic (the '96-'00 ones). I'm sure others who have played with more Civics than me will chime in, but here's my 2 cents.

1. For a daily commuterator, no. There are lots of ones with swapped motors, so if you come across one, just take extra care to make sure it wasn't a half-assed installation.

2. Not necessarily. In the 2-door EK lineup, there's the CX/DX motor, and then the EX one. The main difference with the EX (VTEC) engine is about 20 extra hp, or a whopping 4 lbs or torque at a much higher rpm. These should all be single-cam motors, so just make sure you're not looking at a swapped engine.

3. These cars typically rust out in the rear fender lips, so reach inside and see how much dirt is collected in there since they rust from the inside. I don't know if it's enough to fail a state inspection, but just something to look out for. You'll also want to take a look at the rear trailing arm bushings, which are 4" round bushings right in the middle of the trailing arm, and are typically shot on a higher-mileage Civic. Can be PITA to replace, but not beyond a DIY kinda guy. You'll also want to check the front axles, as the CV boots tend to tear. If possible, I'd also let the car sit overnight, then start it in the morning. This is to check for leaking valve seals, which is another somewhat common issue on older Civics. The indication will be a ton of blue oil smoke on startup that disappears soon afterwards.

Hope that helps - look for more info from others.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:33 AM
tah

[QUOTE=ChristianL;776443]The main difference with the EX (VTEC) engine is about 20 extra hp, or a whopping 4 lbs or torque at a much higher rpm./QUOTE]

LMAO......that's why I said I don't care about vtec. Only comes into play if you "Drive it like you stole it" and that's not how I drive (very often anyway).

Thanks for the advice!

Old 04-15-2012, 08:16 AM
HCF Member

Me too - if I found a decent EX, that would have been fine, but it wasn't a deal-breaker.

It just occurred to me that the EK Civic also came with the Si flavor in 99-00. These did have a dual-cam engine that has a good deal more power than the single cam 1.6 engines. I believe the suspension was also revised on those cars, too.

Additionally, there's the somewhat rare HX model, which was a modestly equipped car that was designed to get much better mileage than the rest of the Civic lineup.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:27 PM
HCF Member

and also, as far as mpg goes, the ex has lower gears, so generally the lx/dx will get better mpg, but it's not much difference.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:07 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Savage
and also, as far as mpg goes, the ex has lower gears, so generally the lx/dx will get better mpg, but it's not much difference.
I got a stock 97 Ex Coupe 5-speed that gets me an average of 35 mpg.