Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Noob: A couple of quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Default Noob: A couple of quick questions

I just purchased a 95 civic lx with 47K, it was previously owned by a 80 year old lady. I know this engine is no vtec, but i want to help it breathe and exhale easier. Will a combo of CAI with headers, high flow cat and a better muffler noticeably increase performance? Will this combo hurt or help my fuel economy? With an upgraded exhaust, is there a muffler that will help flow but not make to much noise? Because I don't want the car to make any noise. I also plan on upgrading the ignition system, full lube job and sensor replacement.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: Noob: A couple of quick questions

An I/H/E combo will definitely help with the car's power. It might not be much, but it'll definitely gain some power. I/H/E's don't usually have an effect on fuel economy one way or the other, but I guess it really depends on individual cars and a person's driving style (how heavy he or she gets on the throttle, when he or she shifts, etc.). As far as the muffler sound, check out https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_425424/tm.htm... there's some sound clips to let you know what certain cat-backs will sound like. Also, if you want a stock-sounding exhaust, look into twin-loop mufflers. I've heard they're every bit as quiet as stock and they still gain some horses. Unfortunately, I don't think anybody makes a cat-back with a twin loop muffler (if anybody knows of one, please feel free to let us know!).

Also, for the record, upgrading the ignition won't really gain you anything. I've heard stories of people losing horsepower after upgrading their ignition. I have a feeling that you just meant replacing your ignition as part of a basic tune-up, though

Old 05-20-2007, 01:26 PM

wiki~

One of the most popular and effective methods of achieving greater power from a D-series motor is replacing the cylinder head with one from a more powerful D-series motor. This is usually done between D16A6 and D16Z6 or D16Y7 and D16Y8 engines.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:40 PM

If you want a exhaust without alot of noise try the apexi world sport, or the dynomax super turbo seriers (cheaper)

Dont waste your money on those spark plugs/wires that say they help, just go to autozone or pepboys and get cheaper replacements they work just as well.