General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

First Civic

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Default First Civic

New Civic owner. I'm an older guy (49) and I liked the fuel-economy my daughter got with her '07. My history is with Toyota vehicles all kinds...

2002 Civic EX Coupe 179,000 miles 5-speed.

Car only came with 1-key and no key-FOB. The dealer told me the key-FOB is $80 to $100. Really ????

shifter is stiffer than the toyota's I've had, normal or not ??

Quite happy with the fuel economy so far. Should I tune it up ? wires, plugs, distributor cap&rotor ??

this has a cold-air kit on it, the air filter is red. I'd rather have stock but in the meantime, how do I clean it. Wash in warm water, dry, spray light oil on it ??

thanks, just trying to get acquainted with my new-to-me car !

Old 05-30-2012, 02:49 PM
HCF Member

FOB like a remote key? order online and look up setup procedure.

stiffer is relative, no way i can say since i am not driving your car or the one you had before.

tune is always good, i usually replace sparks plugs and wires, oil change, coolant flush, tranny fluid (sometimes) and then check the belts and new battery but that was due to stereo systems. No reason to actually get it tuned unless you can do it yourself. If anything you can find out how to reset your ecu and do that and it will slightly tune itself.

i prefer an aftermarket intake since it just lets the engine breath better but up to you, you can buy air filter cleaner or just something like carb cleaner but if it is a cheap filter (spectrum ect which are paper) you need to replace. Wire filters like most K&N can just be cleaned.

congrats on the new car! i love civics!

Old 05-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Models after 2000 have no distributor cap rotor or spark wires. You should replace the plugs, timing belt, coolant and transmission fluid. If it has a no-name air filter, replace it with a K&N or revert to stock.