General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

First impression of oil change on a newer si

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 12:26 PM
HCF Member
Default First impression of oil change on a newer si

I would like to think of myself as pretty good around a car, especially since I have never had any formal training. The bits and pieces of tricks and know-hows from watching my father work on his cars for many years has given me the courage and confidence that I too can work on my own vehicles. All vehicles I have ever owned (with the exception of one (my first one)) I have done all work on my own (or help with my father). I remember when I thought I was the cats a** because I could change my own oil. HAHA! That was a long time ago and since then I have had much more experience with other sorts of DIY jobs.

Anyways, today was the first oil change I was to perform on my car (07 si sedan). I thought nothing of it, ran to the store, got a filter (which I was giggling to see it came with a new washer for the dain plug ( Fu***** Honda, they know how to keep their stuff in good shape), got me some oil (which I never buy oem oil, however when I saw mobil made it...I jumped on it and figured it would just be better for records anyhow to show I bought filter and oil at same time), and headed on home.

I jacked the car up, Unscrewed the drain plug and of course oil just goes everywhere except my container (damn screen thing in my container is not worth a sh*t and makes more of a mess then useful). After cleaning up that mess I jump to my filter. This being the first time under my car it takes me a few seconds to find it. Once I do, I let out a mild explicit because I realize why so many people complain about changing the oil on these things.

If you have not worked on one of these yet, let me indulge you in the stupidity of design. The oil filter is literally right above the right half-shaft. A oil wrench (metal-band style) is seemingly too long (handle) to be able to torque enough on the filter because of other things in the way. The inner fender is in the way on the outside and in the inside you are eiher hitting the heat shield on the exhaust manifold or you are hitting the half-shaft splash-guard (or whatever the heck it is). I went back and forth from using brute strength to using the wrench with no avail.

I then figured it might be a little easier if I took my passenger side wheel off (boy is that going to make me upset if I have to do that everytime in the future). It definitely gave me more room however, no dice. That filter was not budging one bit. I started to contemplate what I would do to the engineer who designed the engine like this. I then thought well, maybe the engineer didn't think that the a** at the assembly plant was going to use loc-tite on my oil filter before cranking it to 400 ft-lbs.

I was loosing this battle very quickly, my temper starting to rise, my patience going right out the large garage door opening.

Since this vehicle is my only mode of transportation, I had to "huffy-it" to my local parts store. Thankfully its only about 2 miles away. I bought one of those filter wrenches that looks like a cup (best way to describe it). It fits on the end of the filter and grabs onto the little ridges on the filter. I figured ok, this has to work. I came back all excited because I had an excuse to buy a new tool. I slapped it on my ratchet put it up on my filter and started cranking it only to realize it was slipping off the filter. WTF!!!! I tried back with a few attempts of my other methods and still resulted with a filter that would not budge.

What did I do next? I bet you thought I gave up and went to the dealership ehh? No way Jose! Back to the auto parts store for the second time (my legs are really tired now, thank God for 21 speeds). I returned that piece of sh*t and got a different type of filter wrench. This one has 3 claws that when torqued it just clamps down on the filter. This one I thought for sure would do the job (heck it was a $1 more, it better!). I came home all impressed with myself being able to figure out what tools I needed to get a job well done. Slapped it on my ratchet only to find it is slipping off the oil filter.

At this point my confidence is low, I am tired, hungry, irritated, and out of ideas. I have heard of people stabbing their filter with a screwdriver, however I really did not want to do that. I came back inside my apt, hopped on the computer and wanted to see if anyone had wrote anything about how the got theirs off. One guy claimed he used his hands. I think that guy is full of sh*t. I tried for about 20min with my hands. I think I about snapped my wrist twisting so much. My hand, as I type this is all swollen by squeezing and twisting my hand around that filter. I have read other people just paid someone to do their first oil change because the filter was on so tight for the first change. Not me, I am not that type of person. I cannot be defeated.

I went back to my original oil-wrench (metal band-type) and realized that I was able to move it in such a way that I could get a little more "twisting action" out of it. After a couple attempts the wrench moved. Surely, it just slipped off the filter I thought. I "reloaded" it again and it moved some more. No mother fu***** way! You have to realize I had be trying to get this damn filter off for over 2hrs (mostly because of my trips to the parts store).

It finally loosened. I was so happy as I started twisting away at the filter. When the oil started coming from the filter my laughter and excitement somewhat diminished. I had my jack stand right underneath where the filter was so there was no room for my oil container, F*** it. I just unscrewed it. Oil fell onto the cv boot all over the lower control arm and all over my garage floor. SWEET! I guess it would have bothered me more if I was not so darn happy I got that filter off.

I popped the new one on, lowered the car, filled the bitch with new clean oil, started her for a bit to make sure no leaks, reset my oil reminder and we are now good to go for another 3000 miles. I think the next oil changes are going to come too soon now.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:33 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: First impression of oil change on a newer si

Good lord! I had no idea the new si's were that poorly engineered. My heart goes out to you man. There's nothing worse than when the most basic maintenance goes snafu.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:46 PM
HCF Member

When I looked at the New Civic at the Dealer I thought the engine was harder to maintain! And then the radio sucks and how do you change it for a nice aftermarket one?

If oil changes are such a big bitch with this car go synthetic oil. Maybe Castrol Syntec 5 qts from Walmart for $19.96 will last 8,000 miles / 6 months - that's what I'm gonna due. Or try Amsoil which is a once a year / 16,000 mile engine oil! Less frequent oil changes = avoiding all this hassle.

Thanks for the Si heads up, although I like a white or blue sedan too. How 0-60 fast is it?

Old 02-16-2008, 03:24 PM

I take my cars to the dealership for oil changes so they have it on record incase something happens. I got rid of an '05 Dodge Hemi truck which cost me $80 at the dealership each time for Mobil 1. I figured this new Civic would be cheaper since it uses half the oil. Nope, Honda dealer says $70 for Mobile 1. I asked why so much, they said it is somewhat of a tough job. Thinking they were BSin me i went to Jiffy Lube to see thier price. They said $75 for synthetic oil. Needless to say I went back to the dealership.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Cat Fuсker

good thing I'm now forewarned...I had three oil changes scheduled for new si's...now I'll call them up and give them "good news"

Old 02-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I like the cap type wrench best. If it is a little loose on the filter, put a paper towel or a thin rag between it and the filter. On the old Civics it is actually easiest to remove the oil filter from above, reach all the way across from standing at the right wheel. Even though the filter is nearer the left side of the engine.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:43 PM
HCF Member

Dealerships are major ripoffs at their prices for repairs. I got majorly ripped off at a Dodge Dealer for my 99 Grand Caravan Sport.

If you bought your car new and have to have frequent oil changes as required by warranty - that sucks. My next oil change will be 2 qts Castrol Syntec, 1qt Royal Purple, 1/2 bottle Hyperlube, + top off with Syntec. Will use a Purolator Pure One filter - really good stuff. Fram filters are total junk and poor quality. Even the Walmart Supertech filters are better! Total cost of my next oil change - about $30 in materials. My current Dino oil has 3300 miles and still looks good, so I'll stretch it to 4000 to 5000 miles.

I like the new Si but would probably get it in 5 years or so. Would like a used hopped up one too - saves money that way. My HX was a good deal at $3500 and was hopped up too.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:18 PM
HCF Member

The 0-60 varies from one test to another. I have seen as low as 6.9 to as high as 7.4 (I am sure altitude, temp and road conditions play a factor in the differences).

As far as an aftermarket radio, its cake. There is a plastic piece that covers over the factory radio and HVAC controls, it pops off and you put a replacement in that can accept a din or double-din sized deck. I have no anticipation on swapping out as I am more into performance and to me the factory sound will more then suffice for now. Maybe when my speakers get all old and crumbly I will start thinking of alternative ideas. I think the hardest part would be to replace the tweeters in the dash. They are up in the corner right by the glass (I bet those are near impossible to replace (if they can be at that).

I am old school as far as changing oil goes. I do not care what type of oil it is or what is claimed, its always going to be every 3000 miles.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:39 AM

lol, thats why i only buy K&N filters lol... all i need is a 1" socket wrench and i'm good to go...

example

http://www.mmmiata.com/mm033-k2%2006-07%20K&n.jpg

all of their filters are easy to remove... but my '00 DX is about the same way, its impossible to change the filter w/o it leaking everywhere...