General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

First oil change

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 11:37 PM
Default First oil change

Hi everyone. I just bought a 2006 fiji blue Civic LX. This is my first Honda so I have a couple of questions for the experts. My oil indicator says 70% and I have about 5000 km on the oil. Is there a special additive in the factory installed oil for break in? If so what would happen if I changed oil right away. The dealer said they'd do the first oil change free but told me don't even consider bringing it in till the indicator said 15%. I always do my own oil changes and I cant get my head around this oil indicator. It appears that it will average 8,000 KM (according to a Honda servicemans guess) for the indicator to say 15% and thats using mineral based oil not synthetic. The service guy says that these engines are so clean and there's no iron filings in the first oil so it safe to let it go that far. This breaks all traditional wisdom for me as I always change oil after about 500 km for break in and at 5,000 km after that using synthetic. Finally, once I do change oil how do I reset the indicator to 100%?

Thanks in advance for you help. I look forward to searching these forums in the future.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:21 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: First oil change

Check the owner's manual for reseting the light. On a corolla i worked on you press and hold the trip button then turn the key to the on position.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:35 AM

All the owners manual says is that the service technician resets it when they do the oil change.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:23 PM

i would tell u to take to get serviced once and thn ask thm how to reset it so u could change ur oil urself

-JP

Old 09-18-2006, 07:14 PM
HCF Member

Quote from the Honda site:

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.
American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

How often should I change my oil after the first service?

Refer to your owner's manual for the recommended service intervals. Separate maintenance schedules are listed for "normal service" and "severe service." Read the description of severe service carefully. Most vehicles will fall under the normal service category. Note that the service intervals are listed by time in addition to distance. Your oil should be changed at whichever interval, time or distance, occurs first.

There is absolutely no benefit in changing your oil more frequently than recommended in your owner's manual. This will only increase your cost of ownership, and create an unnecessary burden upon the environment by increasing the amount of disposed oil.

Do not exceed the recommended maintenance interval. Oil eventually deteriorates and loses its ability to protect your engine, due to heat, friction, and exposure to exhaust components. Engine oil contains special additives to enhance the oil's performance, and these additives are also broken down or consumed with distance and time. Engine damage can occur if the proper maintenance schedule is not followed.

Hope this helps

Old 09-18-2006, 11:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Misha

Quote from the Honda site:

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.
American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

How often should I change my oil after the first service?

Refer to your owner's manual for the recommended service intervals. Separate maintenance schedules are listed for "normal service" and "severe service." Read the description of severe service carefully. Most vehicles will fall under the normal service category. Note that the service intervals are listed by time in addition to distance. Your oil should be changed at whichever interval, time or distance, occurs first.

There is absolutely no benefit in changing your oil more frequently than recommended in your owner's manual. This will only increase your cost of ownership, and create an unnecessary burden upon the environment by increasing the amount of disposed oil.

Do not exceed the recommended maintenance interval. Oil eventually deteriorates and loses its ability to protect your engine, due to heat, friction, and exposure to exhaust components. Engine oil contains special additives to enhance the oil's performance, and these additives are also broken down or consumed with distance and time. Engine damage can occur if the proper maintenance schedule is not followed.

Hope this helps
Thanks Misha! That pretty well sums up all my questions in one quote. Dang! Your good!!