General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

good mielage report

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:51 AM

i was running 60 on cruise the whole way, and its a dx so it should get some good mpg. i never get that much when im in town though, i always wanna be the first one to the next red light

Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by sfazngiants
yes i expect it to do a lot better but i'm thinking theres a problem with my car. the CEL is one of them, i've replaced the spark plug wires and spark plugs at about 100,000 miles and its about 120,000 right now. do you think i should replace the cap and rotor right now? i hope its not a bad cat, i'm kind of hoping it might be the O2 sensor but i've heard from some people that O2 does not cause CEL. what do you think it might be besides a cat, the cat for the HX model is expensive.

and another problem with my car is when i first accelerate from a complete stop it makes a rumbling sound, sounds like its coming from the back. i did a transmission flush and the problem went away and came back. what do you think this problem might be? i'm hoping to get the problems check out by a mechanic soon
Definitely replace the cap and rotor. Almost everything is more expensive for the HX. You recover the cost in excellent gas mileage, which you are currently missing out on. Pull the CEL code again and post it. A bad O2 sensor could throw a CEL code.

If the rumbling noise is in the rear, then it is likely a loose exhaust system or exhaust heat shield. Put the rear end on stands and do a careful inspection of the exhaust system.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:36 PM
HCF Member

^ i went out and tried to pull the engine light code but the scanner cant find it. could it because i erase the code through the scanner? as for the rumbling noise, could the loose exhaust problem if i was driving the car on a cold start? when i drive the car on a cold start the noise doesnt seem to be loud or doesnt exist, only when i've driven for like couple minutes and warmed up the engine. i'm having my rear drums, cap and rotors, replace by my girlfriends dads friend so i think i'm going to have check on the exhaust system when he gets the car jacked to replace the drums.

also, could the rumbling sound be cause by a bad transmission, when i first had the transmission fluid flushed the problem seems to have gone away but came back couple weeks later.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You may have cleared the CEL code from the ECU. Wait for the CEL to turn ON again, and then pull the code.

Check whether the transmission fluid is low. If the transmission seems to be behaving fine, then first focus on the exhaust system.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:18 PM
HCF Member

i've cleared the light a couple times using the scanner before even if i remove the code the emission status would lit up yellow (green, yellow, red). and when i do have the code, the emission status is lit up red. and today went out to fetch the code no code and emission status is lit up green. hopefully the problem went away. but i create a new thread on the tech section.

i will start out with checking up on the exhaust system. what should i be looking for?