General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Headlights- How can I get them "Crystal Clear" again???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Default Headlights- How can I get them "Crystal Clear" again???

Hey guys! I'm new to the forums but I'm glad I found them because I need some advice on cleaning my headlights.

I have a 2000 Honda Civic EX and the headlights are not as clear as I would like them to be and its starting to urk me terribly! Lol! I hate for my car to be clean, and look at the headlights and they look dirty and old! What can I use to get them clear again? I know they have different kits at the car stores like Advanced Auto Parts and Auto Zone. Have any of you used these kits before? I want my headlights crystal CLEAR!!!! Also, is there a way to take them off to clean them from the inside? I'm a female and have no idea on how to do this, so I definitely need to know where or how I can get this done!

Can't wait to hear the feedback!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:31 AM

The kits work fine. They wont be 100% perfect, but they will look decent. Pulling the lens off requires baking the headlight, and prying it off. Then sealing it back up with hopes no moisture will get in.

You could just pick up a set of replacement OEM replica headlights off of ebay for $100 I think. Just seal the edges with silicone to prevent moisture from entering and you'll be set.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:52 PM
HCF Member

I have a 2000 Civic EX as well. I had the same problem. As long as you have the patience to redo your headlights every season, this, a wax pad, and a little elbow grease will work wonders. Both can be found anywhere that sells car stuff. Plastx doesn't last forever, so you'll have to redo it every season, but it works VERY well. Your headlights will be crystal clear. Even when the headlights start to yellow again, they will never look as bad as they did.

Last edited by TheStig; 05-14-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:03 AM
HCF Member

haven't tried it myself but i've heard some good stuff about mother headlight restoration kit

i would try the plastx first to see if that helps.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:40 PM

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions! I definitely plan on doing this over the next week or so! I was in Wal-Mart the other day and went in the auto section and they had some kind of headlight wax as well as a kit. The wax was around $9.00 and the kit was a little more. So I'll probably end up getting a kit so that I can keep the cleanings going as the headlights get unclear again.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:19 PM

The PlastX stuff works fine, but as mentioned, it doesn't last forever. I end up redoing mine 3 or 4 times a year. The 2 or 3 stage kits are really good, but in the end the best way to do it is to sand them down, polish them, and then spray some clear coat over them to preserve the clarity. It's cheaper to just grab a set of TYC OEM style headlights. Brand new, crystal clear, OEM spec, but cheap.