General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Help w/ my 94 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Default Help w/ my 94 Civic

help...anyone...

i just bought a 94 honda civic dx hatchback 5 months ago.
i really didn't looked under the hood or really inspected the car.
it's from a mechanic so i'm asssuming every single part of it is working fine.
silly me. FYI i really have small knowledge in car mechanics.

this winter i noticed that i'm loosing a lot of coolant w/c causes my car to overheat. so i have to fill it up every other week, this was only during the freezing temperatures.
when the weather wasnt that bad and my coolant level seems to be normal or maybe loses a little bit. i noticed that my radiator fan doesn't work. i looked at the fuse box and looked for the fuse for the fan w/c was okay.

two weeks ago when i was about to drive the car. it suddenly won't start.
it would turn but won't start all the way. my fuel pump is working. i took off the top bolt on the fuel filter and have it started and it squirted about 5 to 6 inches high. so there is fuel right? i checked the spark plugs and noticed it's
wet from gasoline. i did the spark plug test and there's no spark. checked the distributor cap and rotor. there are build up of some stuff on the rotor.
so i replaced the wires. bought the cap and rotor kit. but i can't take the rotor off because of the stripped head. i don't even know if its a positive or negative.
i think have to tear that rotor apart. or is it easier to take off the distributor?

if i'm guessing right. it's the ignition system that is causing the problem.

i recently bought a volt meter. but i don't know what to check for.
i haven't seen whats inside the distributor.

i did some research on the internet about my problem. it wasn't specific but some of it says that it's because of the main relay, ecu, ecm coil, igniter, etc.
i really didn't know that this stuff exist in a car.
i went to a car parts store and asked how much for a main relay for a 94 civic. he asked me "what kind or for what".
so..... we have different main relays in a car?

i really don't wanna spend too much money on this one or buy parts that doesn't need to be replaced. i hope i can pinpoint w/c part to buy.

i hope you guys could help.

thanks,

romeo1978

Old 02-23-2009, 05:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

First take the oil cap off and look at the rocker arms while someone cranks the engine. If the rocker arms don't move, the timing belt is stripped and that's why it won't start. It also won't make sparks because the distributor is not turning.

After that test, take the cap off and hold a grounded test wire near the output spring of the coil (the part that comes up to make contact with the cap.) You should be able to draw big blue sparks from there while cranking. If you only get very weak yellow sparks, the coil is bad. The rotor will need to be removed to replace it.

Those are the two most common reasons for cranking but not starting and no sparks.

After you get it started again search the general tech help or ask again about troubleshooting the fan/ overheating issue. Look for coolant leaks in all the little hoses behind the engine.

Last edited by mk378; 02-23-2009 at 05:35 AM.