General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Honda or Muscle car

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 05:11 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Honda or Muscle car

ORIGINAL: SevenKRedline
Insurance will destroy you!
If he shops carefully, he could probably pick up a little 250-450cc super-moto that would smoke most wheeled contraptions through twisties at the track. The DR-Z400SMs or new Yamaha 250cc SMs probably wouldn't cost much for insurance at all. The insurance companies don't usually see them as being "sport or large-displacement bikes in the hands of a squid". He could probably also find them used in good condition for WELL under $4000. Pay cash and you don't have to carry full coverage...especially if you already have medical coverage through work. He could also probably get over 70MPG with a 250cc bike, when it's not on the track.

I bought my first bike (97 YZF 750) at 17 years of age and paid around $450 per month. Moved up to an 03 R6 at 19 and paid a little bit more. However, now that Im almost 23 with an imacculate record, I only pay $180 for full coverage on the 06 R6.
OUCH! My RENT didn't cost over $400/month when I was in college, and I lived in a nice house with 2 friends, in a snobby suburb of a relatively expensive city. I think I was paying less than $200/month premiums for liability on my used car and 400cc bike, with full-coverage on a new Wrangler.

Stick with the civic, IMO. Great gas mileage, decent power, and insurance rates are much lower. Especially with a sedan.
That sums it up great, especially with an EX. You get a nice little bump in power with the VTEC over the adequate LX/DX engine, while still getting better mileage than the scrappy Si. I don't know how much of a discount insurance gives for a 4dr, but they sure could keep your rates low for things like ABS, SRS, an alarm, a small engine, good grades, clean credit, no claims, and a clean driving record. If you don't have a flashy outdated car with a huge engine that wraps you around trees regularly, and can't afford a decent alarm because you're paying for gas, your rates could be under $100/month. 4 doors are just nice to have sometimes on your daily-driver, for MANY various reasons. Opinions vary, but I don't feel that the sedan body detracts from aesthetics if the car is done right. It doesn't seem to detract from performance at all. The only downside that I feel might be substantial about a sedan is that additional parts (doors, windows, etc) can get damaged by collision/vandalism.

I also went from spending about $70/wk on gas commuting (15MPG Jeep) to spending about $30/wk on gas (35MPG Civic). That's over $120/month shaved from mostly just my commute. I drive a lot more than just my commute, so I save considerably more by using the Jeep only sporadically. A stock auto Civic EASILY out-corners and out-accelerates a stock 5spd Wrangler from 30-85MPH, and many other vehicles too. I haven't seen a street-legal car yet, blown and gassed 5.0 or otherwise, that couldn't be beat on the street by something that "isn't quite legal", so put the thoughts of running 6-second 1/4s in a reliable grocery-gitter out of your head. Reliability is sacrificed when you run high boost and nitrous with the pedal through the floor. Competitive dragracers rebuild a LOT of stuff, a LOT of times.

If you take anything from this post...please, PLEASE keep racing to the track. Time and time again I have seen way too many younger adults act a fool on the streets and get themselves killed, or even worse, someone else. I for one could never forgive myself if I killed an innocent family on the road. Be responsible and do whats right.

Even in less serious circumstances, you typically do less damage by sliding over cones on a closed course than by sliding into trees, curbs, fences, parked cars, etc. on public roads. The law, your insurance, your finances, the general public, etc. really appreciate this. If you want thrills on wheels or bragging rights, take a bike to a legal offroad track or trail. You could loft 20ft doubles, blast corners sideways, or just putter down steep canyons with a view...without Johnny Law or John Q. Lawsuit-Happy Public raising an issue.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:29 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Honda or Muscle car

Not to start anything but if you read what 210Stang said he only got 3 to 5grand to Spend?? and this is going to be he's 1st Car so lets just all be Practical.. what im trying to say is if you got lots of $$$$$ its realy easy to get a Fast Civic or a Fast Muscle car but i if your living on a week by week paycheck thats a hard thing to do... so what im saying is Get a good decent Car and work on it and just get what you really like and wanted dont go by what others said get the one that can make you Happy.