General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How Reliable Are Civics?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 02:18 AM
Default RE: How Reliable Are Civics?

Well, I might as well post my little story.

I bought my 2000 Civic with 91000. It was the biggest piece of $#$# lol, just messing with you.

I have bought my car in 2004 and am close to a 3rd year of ownership. This is the second longest ownership of the car in my life. First was a 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood, what a switch huh.

Any way, my manual window driver side cranker is messed up where the window doesn't slide perfectly into a weather stripping. Every time I lower down the window, when I roll it back up, I have to open the door and with my hand put the window back in the weather stripping groove to close it completely so it doesn't wistle at high speeds. That is about the only complaint I had on the car.

I currently am on 132000th mile. Been in the shop 4 times over legitimate expensive repairs. One was damage caused by neglected brake pads, then a motor mount, then messed up rear shocks, then AC that didn't blow cold air, still the other was a busted radiator (that was mostly due to my abuse of the car).

But as far as engine goes, I had never had any issues. Other then oil changes and scheduled maintenace and those 3 incidents listed above, I am never in the shop.

Some dealerships provide a list of scheduled maintenances for Honda cars and trucks. They have a schedule A (oil change), schedule B (oil change, light inspection) and schedule C (oil change and more thorough inspection).

From personal experience talking, I bought Civic on the spot as soon as I saw it and drove it. I may have been lucky but one way or another, nothing major ever happened to me and those few expensive trips that DID occur will not occur again. So I say, get a Civic, you may spend some $$ on broken toys in the car, but the engine should last you a long time, even under relative neglect.

PS by the way wantaCivicWagon, I am impressed.[8D]

Old 10-26-2006, 04:23 PM

civics are the best man. plain and simple. By the honda! Youll regret it later if you dont.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:37 AM

My last car was an '91 Accord. 219+ when I traded it in on Stella, the northeast is tough on cars of any make. That said, the engine was still strong, the car ran great, she was just starting to rust away. I see way too many 10-20 yr old Civics on the road here to think they are not reliable or not easy to keep up. Can't say that about any make other than Toyota, their strength here is their pickup trucks, in my opinion (Is the Ridgeline not an Odyessey without the rear half and 4wd?).

My goal with Stella, 15yrs, 250,000mi. Just now up for her first service appointment (just oil and a lookover, according to Honda). Approaching 6k. Flawless, except for the odd noise here and there in the drivetrain.