General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Service Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 12:35 AM
Default Service Engine Light

2003 civic DX.

At about 29,000 it blinked during start up.

At around 30, 200 it just stays on when I drive.

Normally I would have got it in sooner, however it first came on when I made a long drive to the Redwoods from Oregon and I have since been in the process of a very big move. Is this because I haven't taken it in for the 30,000 mile tune up?

I know I need to get the battery changed because when I got the oil changed the Les Schwab guy told me it was lagging. Basically I want to make sure I know WHY the light came on, if it does standard at around 30 and 60 and 90 K or whatever or if it goes on because of specific reasons. Do I have to tell the mechanic to turn it off when they do some work? I am going to do some more investigation into the 30 K checklist because I Just had the oil changed and the cabin filter changed and don't want to get charged for those during the tune up. Any advice is appreciated, I am pretty novice when it comes to cars.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:05 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Service Engine Light

Judging by your terminology "cabin filter" you are not in the US of A. One of the easiest ways for me, is to stop by the local AutoZone. They will tell me for free what the codes are on the check engine light. I used their service about a year ago to determine I had a bad computer in a Chevy Corsica. Do you have a local shop that can do this for you?

Why have you not already had it checked? You are lucky your car has not ground to an very expensive stop. If this had been my car, by 29010 I would have had it checked.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:23 PM

I'm not sure if you even read my entire post, because Oregon and the Redwoods are about as US of A as it gets. I do appreciate you giving me a heads up on Autozone but if you had read my post you would see that I moved to Hawaii and I explained why I haven't got it checked yet. I DID get new oil in it and had it checked out at les schwab and was told the battery needed replacing. Unfortunately there are no Autozones here, but there is a Checker where I am going to take it to get the computer looked at.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:09 PM
HCF Member

We cannot really know whats wrong with your car, you have to get the computer cheked to find out whats wrong. And a tune up does include the oil change so just check the transmission fluid and the spark plugs to complete the tuneup

Old 04-21-2007, 07:50 PM
HCF Member

you might be able to pull your own code. Check for a diy online if you're not near any autozones, I pull my own codes.