General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Should I??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Default Should I??

SoI've got a '98 green Honda Civic DX. 92,000 miles, all NYC driving (traffic, heat, cold, etc.). Always parked it in the streets of NYC and the body shows it - dings, small dents and scratches everywhere. No power windows, no alarm. No CD player (tape deck).

I just moved to Florida and my a/c went down, so I spent a nice chunk of change replacing the compressor, etc. Now it works just fine. Otherwise, never any serious mechanical problems to speak of. As with all civics, its been a very reliable car.

Now, I have a little money saved up and am considering getting something new (or newer). I look at my poor beat up civic and think, maybe its time to upgrade. But, the car's paid up and it probably still has a few good years left to it. Plus, its got lots of memories attached to it.

I've been thinking about the possibility of giving it a cosmetic makeover. Nothing fancy, but just clearing up the dings, scratches, etc., and repainting it. But the wife tells me it ain't worth it - just spend the money on something newer. I know the civic can look nice again, 'cause I've seen them on the road without the body problems that mine has. But the wife brings up good points - mainly, is it worth it? I don't even know how much it'd cost to repaint, etc.

So, anyone here ever have the same predicament, or give me their honest opinions? Is it worth it, or should I go new? Any input is helpful....

Old 07-06-2008, 09:29 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Should I??

what kind of new or newer car are you looking to get. now that your in florida you should go with somethin newer. don't have to worry about snow salt the weather constantly changing bad road conditions like pot holes ect. me personally living in florida with all the garage space id keep it as a project.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:45 PM

depends on the condition of the car has cancer started in on her? if its just a little in the quarter panels you may be safe but if its went through any panels it might not be worth it.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:22 PM
HCF Member

I think you should just leave the car the way it is, don't repaint it, fix it up, or do anything. Leave it as your econo-box. With the rising gas prices, it's anice thingto have. 92000 miles is nothing. Civics can do at least twice that. Keep it, and save up your money so you can buysomething nice in the future[8D]

Old 07-07-2008, 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Masonn

I think you should just leave the car the way it is, don't repaint it, fix it up, or do anything. Leave it as your econo-box. With the rising gas prices, it's a nice thing to have. 92000 miles is nothing. Civics can do at least twice that. Keep it, and save up your money so you can buy something nice in the future [8D]
+1 I agree.

Unless you're into modding your car to make it faster and/or looking exactly the way you want it, it'd be a waste of money.