Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

AEM V2 finally installed - procedure!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 08:27 PM
HCF Member
Default AEM V2 finally installed - procedure!

After receiving three V2s (third time lucky, I guess), I finally set aside some time to do the install. The first two were damaged from inadequate packaging (IMO).

Anyway, Although the whole thing took me more than 3 hours, it did fit (with one exception and I explain that fiasco near the end of my procedure.) fairly well.

Oh, and AEM - the left side of a car is the driver's side, not the passenger side as youimplied in your procedure. I took both wheels off, knowing thatyou guys were probably wrong about which wheel to remove.

So, without further delay, here's the link to my DIY page. Scroll to the bottom for the AEM install link.

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/honda_corner.htm

Enjoy!

Dave

[IMG]local://upfiles/5780/9AF49F733D9F466E8896009702E0FA45.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-02-2008, 11:34 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: AEM V2 finally installed - procedure!

nice write upwith correlateing pics. Many newbs will benefit from this. Would you say that it's worth the extra money and work for it over the performance of a short ram intake?

maybe you shouldn't answer that lol ....

I don't mean to be condescending, in fact I would take one over my short ram if I had the extra loot.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:31 PM
HCF Member

Thanks! I'd have to say that it all depends on the HP increase during warmer days. In my other car, I data-logged (using a Car Chip device)intake air temperature during a typical weeks worth of driving. With just a short-ram type of aftermarket intake, the intake air temperature would reach over 140 degrees F during slow-moving conditions. Even after getting on the highway and driving for 15 minutes, the intake air temps never dropped below 120. This means that the engine's ECU was retarding timing to avoid predetonation (pinging) for a loss of about 10 HP.
When I installed a cold air intake that was fed a steady supply of outside air, the intake air temps under the same driving and ambient temp conditions never exceeded 104 degrees F. After just 2 minutes of highway driving, the intake air temps plummeted to 80F, the same as the ambient (outside) temp. That's a huge difference and although this data came from a different car, the same type of dramatic change of intake air temp can occur when comparing short vs long intakes in almost any vehicle. The bottom line: Cold air rules. If you have a short ram, try to find a way to funnel cold air into the engine bay. Not only will your engine like it, but any underhood electronics, belts and hoseswill benefit as well.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:59 PM
HCF Member

man i love your write ups! so detailed and percise haha good job with the car so far dude its comin great! any future plans?

Old 02-03-2008, 08:21 PM
HCF Member

Thanks, Jason.

I have to admit that part of my day job includes writing procedures, so I'm used to showing as many details as I can. The thing that bothers me about most assembly instructions that come with kits like this is that even though a picture is shown of the part that needs to be removed, it can be very difficult to figure out exactly where the thing is. I believe Photoshop and maybe other programs like this allow you to show the overall picture (like that of the entire engine bay) and then a "baloon" that is an enlarged view of the part that needs to be removed. An option is to have two pictures, one of the overall view and one of the detail view.

As far as future plans, I think I'll cool off for a while, although I'd like to someday swap out the manual steering for power steering and have the car painted.

Dave

Old 02-05-2008, 03:58 AM
HCF Member

good write up and intake looks good, congrats

Old 02-05-2008, 07:59 AM
HCF Member

When I was looking for an intake I was so close to going with the AEM V2
but instead I went with the Injen short ram.
I love your set up man!
Looks great!

Old 02-05-2008, 07:58 PM
HCF Member

Thanks, IC89 and Macbeth! I hear that the latest top-of-thel-line EVO MR has Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks. I'm kinda glad I went with the Eibachs, especially after reading the comparison article between the STI and the EVO. The EVO won!

Old 02-06-2008, 02:18 PM
HCF Member

I see what your saying with the short ram. On my car I left the hose from the stock airbox on that go down to the bumper. I think it helps guide more air from the outside in, but I'm not really sure how efficiently.I don't discount your knowledge it's probably accurate.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:17 PM
HCF Member

Many cars and even some SUVs have openings either in the hood or near the bumper that allow outside air to be directed at the intake filter. You can easily spot a Z06 from the front by noticing the rectangular opening in the hood. The older Z06s had screened openings where the fog lights are normally found in a coupe. I think your setup is definitely an improvement over just a short ram.