Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

confused...maybe

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:31 PM
HCF Member
Default confused...maybe

OK folks, lookin for more info here! the motor in question is a d167y SOHC. I am interested in getting a lil more power out of it, but not going boost or anything crazy...just helping it breathe better. I have read elsewhere on the forum that I should swap to a y8 intake manifold. would that be something like this: intake mani

As well, with my stock intake that I'm running with now, the TB is vertically mounted, as in the throat of the TB faces the hood, instead of the passenger side fender. I have a SRI that fits my current setup, would I be able to mod it to fit the above mani? Any info would be great! (shoot it to me by PM please)

Old 12-08-2006, 11:17 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: confused...maybe

The d16y8 manifold is the stock manifold for the 96-00 Honda Civic EX. I haven't heard anything good about the OBX intake manifold, but the y8 would suit you just fine. If you do use the Y8 manifold you'll most likely need a new pipe. I think it'd be kinda hard to modify the other one. I'm sure you could get a ex pipe for like $25 or so on ebay. Or just spend the extra money and get a brand name intake. Unless you allready have a good filter, then all you'll need is a new pipe.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:55 PM
HCF Member

ok so if I swap to the Y8 will I need to modify my throttle cable? or buy a new one? I'm just thinking that with the TB in its current location, moving it to the end of the Y8 manifold will require a new cable. or can I re-route it somehow?

Old 12-10-2006, 04:32 PM
HCF Member

i think the y7 throttle body is perfect for the y8 mani. It fits on there wihtout modifcation and you dont need to mess with wires at all.

You will need a new intake though sine the TB will now be mounted towards the Passenger Fender, but this whole thing is will worth it. The y8/z6 intake manifold is the best Honda has ever made (or so i hear), and the HP gain is noticable. And also, alot of front strut bars dont fit over aftermarket y7 intakes, but with the new intake mani, that wont be a problem