Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust Touching Bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:53 AM
HCF Member
Question Exhaust Touching Bumper?

Alright so heres the deal, I recently got a Megan Racing cat-back exhaust my 99 Civic EX and the muffler is riding sort of high and almost touching the bumper, so it rattles at idle often. I just got some sort of thin steel bars (flat) with some holes drilled in it and figured I could replace the current exhaust hangers with a slightly longer piece of this metal to push it down just a little bit. Does anyone see a problem with that? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Old 03-22-2012, 10:20 AM

No problem with what you are trying to do. Or you can get exhaust hangers which position the holes farther apart.

Do you have the Megan "drift spec"? (I think it is called that) That is the exhaust they offer which looks to be coming off at an angle when looking at it from behind the car.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:24 PM
HCF Member

Yup, thats the one. Im sort of dissappointed I got 2 piece 4-2-1 headers from Megan at the same time and the pieces didnt even fit together properly, required some drilling on my part, and then the exhaust fits sort of weird, not coming out from the bumper and riding really high...but im about to go give it a whirl with the metal, Ill post results soon.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:16 PM

I had the same exhaust years ago. It definitely rested on the under side of the bumper and melted it a little. No big deal IMO, but I would suggest you trying to create a little space between the parts if possible.

Keep us updated on how it sounds. When I bought mine, it sounded fabulous for about 6 months, then became EXTREMELY loud and obnoxious. I was pulled over for noise violations, and installed the silencer it came with. Within another 6 months, even with the silencer in it, it started to sound horrible and loud again. With exhausts, you normally get what you pay for :/

I do not have any experience with Megan's header pieces not fitting correctly though.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:03 PM
HCF Member

Well, made my custom mount rig, got it on and had to use a lil slab of JB weld to make sure it stays in place, puts a nice gap between the bumper and exhaust. Sounds like maybe your exhaust was a gasket getting progressively worse? Will update again later once I know if it holds.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:54 PM
HCF Member

Ok so I took it for a little drive with the JB weld (seemed dry sat for a while in a dry warm area) and it came right apart so I just got a few small hose clamps and used those to hold it in place, seemed to work perfect! Great clearance around the bumper and no more rattle!