Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

headers= no cat ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Default headers= no cat ??

i have a 98 dx civic coupe...will my cat have to come off in a put headers on my car...i live in miami so idk if tis ok do do that or not..or i was reading somethign about the resignator coming off??

Old 09-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: headers= no cat ??

best thing you can do is but a exaust system from a EX and buy a header that comes with the O2 extension to relocate it back to the rear plug for I THINK a beter o2signal...

you want to keep a cat on the car... otherwise ya can have big tickets for it.........

Old 09-13-2007, 01:52 PM

can i buy headers for an ex and buy a cat and install the cat the the header then to the pipe...and can i buy a civic ex 02 sensor and put it on the car or will it not work..is it long enough ?

Old 09-13-2007, 03:09 PM
HCF Member

get an EX header (single), then a cat, then bolt on your midpipe to the cat (thus the catback). Then get an o2 sensor extension and you'll be set. And 02 is a slightly different OBD than a 99, so idk if the same sensor would work, i could be totally wrong though.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:24 PM

you can get a header, depending on what your looking for. stock or aftermarket? race header? even with a race header you can get a high flow cat, but you will need to do some welding. i have race header to catback exhaust, no cat, illegal i think in CT, but i got it n e way, cops pull me over and i slap on the silencer for them, and or say the exhaust is kinda loud, they never asked me if a had a cat or not, if they did of course i would say yes. car is low, so they cant look under n e way.

as far as the 02 sensor, get a spark plug non-fouler, and install the 02 sensor in that so your check engine light doesnt go off. not sure about your car but mine required that so the light would stop comming on every 100+ miles. you will have a good setup and it will sound good depending on what you decide to do, i have tons of people who say they love my setup, it sounds bad@$$...

Old 09-14-2007, 10:12 AM

does anyone have a picture of the dx to ex exhaust/header conversion so i have a better understanding...can the cat bolt on to the ehader ?

Old 09-14-2007, 10:21 AM
HCF Member

yes, the cat can bolt onto the header, and then the mid-pipe bolts onto the cat. But with a DX, since the cat is combined with the exhaust mani, the mid-pipe is a foot or so longer (however long an EX cat is) since theres no cat for it to bolt up with, just the exhaust manifold. Thats why you either need an EX catback/midpipe (since its shorter, its made to bolt onto the cat), or get a piece of your DX's midpipe taken out and then welded shorter with the flange still on there so it can bolt onto the cat.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:51 PM

i have a honda dx also my factory exhaust is shot from front to back so i ordered a whole new system, headers, high flow cat and a cat back, but before i rip the whole thing off i will see if the header will bolt up to the factory exhaust i will know for sure in three to five days. i had the same questions when i first started looking. after all the looking and reasurching i decided it would be much better just to do the whole damn thing