Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Intake Filter depate

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 10:31 AM
HCF Member
Default Intake Filter depate

I know everyone says to buy a Ebay intake and then throw a K&N filter on it, which is what I did.. I took a friends old beatup K&N filter... However it was too big for my pipe, so I had to make a reducer to make it fit my pipe.. But there is my problem.. aside from asthetics (read it's ugly as hell), I am not sure if I want to keep his old K&N.. But looking around I have seen the AEM DryFlow filter, which interests me because I want something that when it comes to maintenance I can't screw up (washing, oiling, etc).. should I go with it or just suck it up and get another K&N that's right for my pipe? Anyone have experience with the DryFlow?

Old 05-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Default RE: Intake Filter depate

i have the dry flow that came on my AEM intake. i havent cleaned it yet, but i did read the directions, and it still needs to be cleaned in a solution and let dry. and of course, you have to order the solution. i wonder if anyone knows another way to do it cheaper?

Old 05-20-2006, 07:58 PM
HCF Member

eather way, what ever filter you get is going to need some maintenance, dont be afrade to get your hands a little dirty and learn

Old 06-14-2006, 12:06 PM
HCF Member

Well, I decided to get rid of the old K&N because I noticed that it was starting to come apart where the metal bar that holds the two sides together, creating a noticable size hole, and like I said before, the asthetics of the filter on my pipe sucked. I went with the AEM DryFlow, got in from procivic.com (decided to support a sponsor) and arrived yesterday. First thing I noticed is it looks like it is 1/2 the size of the K&N I had. The AEM sizing chart (see attached photo) with my 2.5" inlet shows that the filter is 5" long, and minus the reducer, it looks tiny.. Now a question I have is, will a smaller filter cause any difference in performance? I wasn't able to drive around yesterday to see if there was any difference in power/sound but this morning on my drive to work I tried to see if there was a difference. Sounds a little quieter, and when I pushed hard on the pedal it seemed like it was trying harder to get the same power as the old K&N. I didn't get to test it a lot, but I am going to try on my way home tonight..

As far as build quality I like it, looks very strong and doesn't have the mesh screen to worry about. The not having to oil it makes me happy, because it seems that with everything I do to my civic, something doesn't go as planned and I have to fix it a couple times, which I wouldn't want to ruin my engine by using too much oil, or ruin the filter by using too little oil..

[IMG]local://upfiles/10011/04C496EA4EE04E27A353CBCED8DC2BD3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-14-2006, 04:38 PM
HCF Member

A slightly smaller filter won't hurt, especially since your first filter flowed more than enough cfm for your engine. I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm curious to know what AEM's "solution" is... chances are it's a common chemical they repackage.