Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

muffler question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 09:39 PM
HCF Member
Default muffler question...

Hi,
This is my first post! I recently bought a '92 civic dx hb and I'm in love with it. the day I got it, I showed it to my friend and he was like "damn, you've got a cold air intake and a strut bar". of course i had no idea what that meant knowing only how to drive a car and having no idea how it works. Ever since then, I spent countless hours on howstuffworks, many forums, advanceautoparts.com and other, sucking up as much knowledge as i could. And now, I think I'm ready for my first project!
I want to change the muffler, coz the one I have is COMPLETELY RUSTED and it doesn't look good at all. But the weird thing is, the piping (from the cat to the muffler) looks brand new compared to the rest of the car so I think the previous owner took off the muffler and put the stock one back (which would explain the rusting) before selling it. The headers are stock however.
So anyways, I'm thinking of getting THIS one or THIS one (yes, I'm canadian ). What do you guys think? Also, do I have to weld it or is it just bolted on the rest of the piping? Coz I'm pretty sure I can screw some bolts on but as for welding... I'll probably end up in the hospital with a 3rd degree burn On THIS ehaust for example, there's an "adaptor" at the end of the pipe to, it looks like it, bolt it to the rest of the pipe, so I don't know.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:46 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: muffler question...

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your car I too am fairly new and Canadian as well (Ontario).. Go Oilers [8D].. Anyways you do know that those mufflers are only the tips right and not the full exhaust system. But u mentioned that all the piping but the muffler looked new so maybe your only looking for a muffler. In regards to the mufflers you were looking at, I'd say go with a well known performance brand instead of one from a hardware store.. and I think you will be alot more happy with the results.. even if it means spending a little more. Take a look at these mufflers.. they are hardly any more, but are very reputable performance brands.

Skunk2

http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...l-muffler.html

DC Sports (this one is actually close to the same price as the Canadian Tire brand, keep in mind these items are priced in US dollars)

Apexi

Old 05-26-2006, 01:35 PM
HCF Member

welcome aboard! actually when i joined this forum i was in your position too...knowing nothing about cars but how to drive them. howstuffworks is good...thats where i learned most of the basics on almost all the different types of engines i know anything about (rotaries, diesels, 2stroke, 4stroke...etc.). we'll get ya learnin

i cant see the links but from how it sounds theyre just tips or mufflers and wont add any power. look for a good catback exhaust. my favorites are the greddy evoII, megan racing drift-spec, magnaflow, skunk2, and apexi ws2.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:32 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, I was actually looking into buying just a muffler but today we jacked up the car for the first time and, it's not pretty down there. You know how I thought the exhaust pipes seemed new? Not anymore What's left of them is rather shiny but the rest is completely rusted. This revelation is pushing me towards a catback exhaust now ... I told my mom I wanted to buy one and she said, "you're gonne spend that much money on an old car!??" The way she sees it, it's only a temporary car for like, 3-4 years max. But since I'm a working man, I think I can afford the price tag (everything seems so much easier with money ...) Right now, the Evo2 and the WS2 both look VERY appealing...
Also, is eBay to be trusted to buy a catback exhaust? It's funny, there are so many Greddy Evo2 on eBay, but then when you click on it it says "This exhaust has the exact design and spec as the greddy evo 2 catback exhaust." How lame... to go to the extent of robing a name to sell the product. If it actually works, they (the sellers on eBay) should just keep the real name intended by the manufacturer, unless these guys just flat-out copied the Evo2 from the beginning... Oh well...

Old 05-27-2006, 09:14 PM
HCF Member

keep an eye out for evoII's with pictures of the tip. all real evo2s say 'greddy' on the tip and i think they have a part number on them...but that might be another exhaust. it should be on the piping somewhere tho.

IMO the choice between the evo2 and ws2 is a flip of a coin...or whichever you find cheaper...because theyre both awesome exhausts and sound great.