Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

NEW INTAKE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 11:56 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: NEW INTAKE!!!

ORIGINAL: 91DXHatch

hey speedsteam....

when i looked at the ebay site all i can say is OMFG... thast the cheesiest intake i ever seen. I bought something that you can call cold air intake from ebay ...i paid 50 bucks total, which still is not alot, BUT.... i got the pipes and hoses, and a MUGEN filter (original).
Now i see your filter is the size of a doughnut which is hillarious.... but you are going to buy a k&N... BUT that pipe looks short.
As far as i know about CAI, you need cold air to come into the Intake or carburator... but if the pipe and filter are so damn close to the engine you are getting hot engine air in a large filter.
The whole idea is to get air from the outside of the car not from anywhere around the engine. By this you would need to make a hole in the inside of the fender or find a spot where cold air comes in far from the engine componets which heat up.

That picture above my post looks like its the opposite of what a cold air intake is supposed to do. Am i missing something here?[&:]
......That's why he said he bought an SRI. Short Ram Intake. There are SRI's and CAI's (Cold Air Intakes.) CAI's work better, yes, cuz they are out and away from the engine...but an SRI works much, much better still than your stock intake and it also keeps your filter out of the rain and snow during inclimate weather.

BTW, that filter is ~8-10" long by ~6" wide at the narrow part. It's not quite "the size of a doughnut".

Speedstream, looks good. I would have gone for a CAI myself (although I got an SRI now), but good buy anyway. you'll feel the added torque regardless!

Old 02-05-2006, 02:33 PM
HCF Member

thanx guys i hope to get the intake this week since i paid late

Old 02-05-2006, 02:34 PM
HCF Member

Good luck with it and I hope you like it when you get it.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:04 AM

Once you install it, let us know what your opinion is of it?? if you "really" notice any difference.

in my 91 civic ... the stock filter had a tube which brought the air from right under the hood opening. Therefore when you drive all the air that goes into the filter box on its way to the intake, is coming from outside as soon as it reaches your inside of the hood. It would seem then, that in itself its a good way to bring cold air inside your filter box, and it should be colder than the one you are installing. if the filter will be big and you replaced some engine parts then it should make a difference.... maybe.

but did you change anything in your engine? headers or intake or anything to add power/torque?

im curious because "my" common sense would indicate that this new filter setup wont make any difference.

(and in that picture on ebay the filter looked tiny as hell; thats why i called it a doughnut filter)

Old 02-06-2006, 10:44 AM

ORIGINAL: 91DXHatch

Once you install it, let us know what your opinion is of it?? if you "really" notice any difference.

in my 91 civic ... the stock filter had a tube which brought the air from right under the hood opening. Therefore when you drive all the air that goes into the filter box on its way to the intake, is coming from outside as soon as it reaches your inside of the hood. It would seem then, that in itself its a good way to bring cold air inside your filter box, and it should be colder than the one you are installing. if the filter will be big and you replaced some engine parts then it should make a difference.... maybe.

but did you change anything in your engine? headers or intake or anything to add power/torque?

im curious because "my" common sense would indicate that this new filter setup wont make any difference.

(and in that picture on ebay the filter looked tiny as hell; thats why i called it a doughnut filter)
It wont make a noticable difference . maybe MAYBE you would notice a blip on a dyno.. but yea.. I have a v2 and dont notice it. other than the sound is amazing.

Old 02-06-2006, 11:11 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: si_guy

It wont make a noticable difference . maybe MAYBE you would notice a blip on a dyno.. but yea.. I have a v2 and dont notice it. other than the sound is amazing.
It SHOULD make a difference. There is a lot of resistance in the stock air box and stock air filter. With the right filter, you'd get a LOT better airflow in...you will need to get better airflow out (i.e. header, exhaust) but you'll still feel it pull a little bit, even if it is only a little bit. Especially if you've been driving your car stock for a while!

Old 02-06-2006, 03:22 PM
HCF Member

it wont make much of a difference in power but it will give a big jump on throttle response.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:14 PM
HCF Member

INTAKE INSTALLED!!!!!!