Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

New Magnaflow or used DC Sport Cat???

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 11:50 PM
Default RE: New Magnaflow or used DC Sport Cat???

short ram or cold air?? if just the short ram go w/ the ebay cheapo and get a k&n, cai injen would be an excellent choice

Old 10-17-2005, 05:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Kerok
I've heard they aren't made of stainless steel, they are brushed aluminum because stainless holds more heat... is this true?
Yeh, a lot are made of aluminum since it doesn't hold the heat as much. The AEM V2 is the most popular on this site, even though it's one of the most expensive, and it has a pipe within a pipe. This also helps the inside pipe keep a bit cooler (but isn't the only reason).

Old 10-17-2005, 05:38 AM
HCF Member

I'd like to do the Cold air intake and a small hood scoop on the right side. Seems to me that the only difference is that one is a bit longer and instead of pulling air from the engine bay, goes out a bit further although it's still pulling air from the engine bay, it's not like it goes outside the hood or something. What are the differences.. ? and are they worth it..?

Is the AEM around the same price as the Ingen...? I think the Ingen is approx $350.00 cdn.

Old 10-17-2005, 05:46 AM

A true CAI usually has the filter mounted between the front fender and the wheel well and gets the air from outside the engine bay.

There are cases when that's not possible in some car styles, so they mount the filter in the engine bay and behind the front bumper to try to get fresh air from outside. Then, there are some that have a shield for the filter to try to keep the hot engine air away from the filter. With the CAI's, your engine will breathe easier, plus benefit from the cooler (more dense) air.

A SRI is simply a short tube with a K&N style air filter on it instead of your stock air box and filter. It sucks air from the engine bay, but your engine will breathe easier than stock.