Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

question about Megan 4-2-1 header.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:35 AM
HCF Member
Default question about Megan 4-2-1 header.

I need to get a replacement gasket that goes between the header and the downpipe. The problem is every single time i call megan they tell me they are out of stock and should have some in by next week.... i swear to god they have been telling me this for about 5 weeks. so i was wondering if a gasket from another company or even those ones at auto zone would work okay ???

oh, its a 2000/ex/AT BTW

thanks

Old 04-17-2008, 11:50 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: question about Megan 4-2-1 header.

hmm....i'd sell it for a one piece header. I've heard a couple stories about that happening with Megan headers. Copied from the intake FAQ also:

Note for installation of a two piece header, this is referring to the gasket between the two pieces of the header: Torque the middle bolt first to 15 ft. lbs. Then the remaining to 15 as well. Then after throttling the engine a few times to break the gasket in, torque all bolts down to 25 ft. lbs.

Might avoid blowing the gasket in the future.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Default RE: question about Megan 4-2-1 header.

Well, I looked one day for a long time for one that would match and found nothing.

I went to auto zone and they had a huge sheet of gasket material for like 15 bucks. You might have to ask for them to get it for you, it was in the back. I went to walmart, bought aviation snips, came home and traced the old one onto the sheet, and cut a new one out. I put it on top of a block of wood and used a drill to drill the holes in the new gasket where the bolt holes would be, and used a drill to start the 2 exhaust holes, then cut them with aviation snips. I lightly used a rubber mallet to flatten the edges down after they had been cut.

You may or may not need the following, but I did this because I stripped the threads in the header joint flange and bolts had came off while driving, which is why my gasket blew:

I went to Ace and bought some grade 8 bolts a tiny bit smaller than the holes that were in the header joint, some lock nuts (the kind without the rubber ring), lock washers, regular washers, and some lock-tite.

When I put it all on I did it like this: (this is in order from the bottom side of the header joint to the top side)
Bolt, regular washer, header flange, gasket, header flange, regular washer, lock washer, lock nut
I put lock-tite on the threads also

PS Do all of this with the header not attached to the car, it makes it way easier to get the bolts torqued down.