Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Diirty Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 08:11 PM
HCF Member
Default Diirty Engine

well i couldnt decide which area to put this in bcause it has to do with the engine, but since it has to do with the appearence of the engine i decided here would b acceptable. Basically there is 9 years of rusty wear under the hood of my 97 civic. Nothing is broken or anything but i decided if i needed to work on it 4 some reason, all this rust would b a pain to work with. so i say to myself, "well mayb bcause my car is not that new, these things happen" but i have looked at many members of the HCF's photos and id eat off of ur engines. so my question is is there anything i can do to get the rust off without having to jus take everything apart and clean it off? or should i jus start randomly painting things? or is there anything AT ALL i can do to make it look better?lol thanx 4 watever input u may have on this

Old 09-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Default RE: Diirty Engine

i have the same problem with my 01 civic ex under the hood is a lot of rust, i think having the engine detailed would probably help but im not sure

Old 09-17-2006, 08:29 PM

wut parts are rusted? some of the parts u prolly wont be able to do anything for em..but majority u can take off and shine up.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:35 PM
HCF Member

ha every single part needs a shine imma paint the valve cover 2morow i think but i kno it will look like a miniscule visual upgrade in comparison to the massive amounts of rust so i was j/w if there was anything easy i could do

Old 09-17-2006, 09:03 PM
HCF Member

get a brush and towel and get to brushing and polishing or whatever the heck you guys do these days.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:19 PM

ya u really just gota get in there and use alot of elbo greese...scrub everything pretty hard with a damp cloth but be carefull with wires, screw, plastic stuff, and all that junk...use some kinda degresser to with scrubing stuff like the valve cover and block. for paint like the sides and such, i just wipe it clean and wax to shine it up. it takes time, greese is a bit hard to get off and there are a lota small hard to reach places too..i clean my bay about once a month, i spend about an hour just scrubbing and all.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:55 AM
HCF Member

^^ Yeah you just have to be very thorough the first time. Engine cleaner degreaser (I use simple green full strength) Lots of elbow grease and an old microfiber towel. A wire brush does well for stubborn areas on the engine block. I have different length brushes to get down deeper into the bay where you can't get your arms through the hoses and such. Clean and wax all the painted areas; firewall, suspension mounts, valve cover (if applicable) under hood etc. Armor all the hoses and plastic and you're set. Just take your time...