Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Headlight Chime Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:17 PM
HCF Member
Default Headlight Chime Install

I just did the headlight warning chime install on my 94 DX hatch. I followed the DIYs on here and it worked great.
I didn't want an annoying buzzer so I used this part.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062401

It sounds like a doorbell and isn't overly loud. Has a nice tone but you will notice it.

I wired it to the 4 & 5 tabs on the fuse box and ran a ground wire to the door switch. I just hooked to the connector, basically I pulled the connector apart, stripped 1/4" on my wire, put it through the hole on the metal tab and reinserted into the connector. Very simple. Now the chime only works when the door is open.
Ir was a simple install, no splicing into stock wiring, just extending the wires on the chime.

Thanks to those that did write ups on this procedure.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:34 AM

Thanks to Danomatic93, I believe.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:54 PM
HCF Member

where's this diy at?

Old 12-24-2010, 03:01 PM
HCF Member
Old 12-25-2010, 06:22 AM
HCF Member

thanks found it..

i'ma try this tho-

print out a clear headlight icon for the gauge cluster and wire that up so it blinks when the drivers door is open.. ballin!

Old 10-07-2012, 12:00 PM

Hello, I recently purchased a 1994 Civic hatchback and am constantly leaving the headlights on by accident.

So, I bought the same chime, tied the blue and black wires together (per a reviewers post for the part), connected them as the DIY shows and I have these problems:

1. The chime is barely audible. You pretty much have to sit there and listen for it to even know that it's 'chiming'. This is a problem because I'm sure I won't hear it.

2. The LCD display on my aftermarket radio flashes off/on with every 'beep' of the chime. I assume this is not good for the radio and/or chime? The key is not in the ignition when this happens. (Normally, my radio will not play if the key is not in accessory/start postions).

The chime works when the headlights are on and the ignition is off, even if the door is not open. This is okay with me because I want to know that the lights are on before I get out of the car.

The aftermarket radio was installed by the previous owner so I have no idea how it is wired.

Any suggestions? Thanks for any help!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:25 AM
HCF Member

Either the stereo is wired wrong, or the chime is wired wrong. The chime is very loud. There is no mistaking it is going off.
The chime should only work when the door is open, so it's possible it wasn't tied into the correct wires. (It could also be that the door switch is bad. Do the over head lights come on properly when the door is open?)

Old 10-08-2012, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by TiggerDX
Either the stereo is wired wrong, or the chime is wired wrong. The chime is very loud. There is no mistaking it is going off.
The chime should only work when the door is open, so it's possible it wasn't tied into the correct wires. (It could also be that the door switch is bad. Do the over head lights come on properly when the door is open?)
Radio Shack tested the chime today on a 9 volt battery and it was VERY loud. So it's okay.

I wired it exactly as the DIY shows except there was no mention of 3 wires (only 2) but I think tying the blue/black wires together should be correct because it worked on the 9 volt battery?

I removed the stereo today and instead of using a harness, the wires were all spliced/taped together and there are about 20 wires. So with only 3 wires on the chime, I'm betting the stereo is probably wired incorrectly.

I will be buying a new stereo soon, with the proper wiring harness (hopefully) and maybe that will fix the problem.

Thank you for your help!