Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

New grills...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Default New grills...

I have a white Civic. After looking through alot of your cars, I've noticed that alot of them are other colors than black (Duh)

So I was wanting to buy a Typr R grill. Perhaps an Ebay one, seeing as I've actually heard good things. But I was wondering for those of you with new grills. Did you paint the boarder of them to your car? And if so. Did you do it yourself, or proffesionally? And how did it turn out?

Old 03-04-2008, 10:40 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: New grills...

i've just ordered my type r grill off ebay and should be recieving it in a couple of days. i am thinking about painting the border the color of my car. i would like to do it myself. hope i can get some information from your thread.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:01 AM
HCF Member

i'd do it myself. Get paint from an auto shop that is matched to your VIN/paint #, then take your time on the painting, clear coat it a bunch, and you should be good to. I'd leave the mesh in the middle of the grill black and the outside of hte grill white. I think that looks sick.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:43 PM

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

i'd do it myself. Get paint from an auto shop that is matched to your VIN/paint #, then take your time on the painting, clear coat it a bunch, and you should be good to. I'd leave the mesh in the middle of the grill black and the outside of hte grill white. I think that looks sick.
That's my plan.

I dunno if you've seen it or not. But there's a tutorial on here how to paint auto parts with a rattle can. Would that work?

Old 03-05-2008, 12:50 PM
HCF Member

yea prolly, just tape off all the mesh and take your time, even coats, and clear coat.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:12 PM
HCF Member

sorry for stealing your thread, didn't want to start a new one. getting my grill in two days, i hope. i found this site to buy the spray paint http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp . is this a good site to get it off of. and are base paint and clear coat all i need? do i need primer paint to make the paint stick onto the grill or does the grill come primered and ready to paint?

Old 03-05-2008, 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: sfazngiants

sorry for stealing your thread, didn't want to start a new one. getting my grill in a two days, i hope. i found this site to buy the spray paint http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp . is this a good site to get it off of. and are base paint and clear coat all i need?
Oh I don't mind. Actually I need to know that, too. So please someone answer the man's question! Haha.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:50 PM
HCF Member

bump... do i need to primer the grill or is the grills ready to be painted. also, does the grill for 99 civic fit 2, 3, and 4 door? just got my ebay type r grill today getting paint to paint on friday. so, i should be able to paint it over the weekend.