Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Quick paint questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Default Quick paint questions...

I'm getting ready to order the paint for the side skirts, front and rear lips, and handles. (Maybe more.) That'll be ordered today if I can manage it.

How do I go about painting the side skirts? Should I just sand, or do I use primer? or adhesion promoter? The side skirts are ABS. The lips are polyurethane. The handles, I'm sure, are ABS. The reason i ask is that the paint site sells adhesion promoter and primer too so I can get it all at once.

How many 12 oz spray cans do you think I'll need? I was thinking 2, but I've got a $100 debit card that is for nothing but paint. I can manage 3. Also, how many of clear? I've still got half a can from the rest of the painting so I figured just 1 more. I don't wanna be stuck with a ton of extra paint and nothing else to paint, you know.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:14 PM
March 2010 ROTM

You can buy plastic primer or promoter at almost any hardware store or even pepboys. It might be cheaper than ordering it. How good was the coverage of that paint? Different paints require more than others to get a good coverage. Id say go with 3 just to be safe. Wouldnt you rather have extra than not enough? 3 color and 2 clear would do it Id say.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:25 PM

eh, I know its probably cheaper but i'd love to have it all at once in one box. The coverage was pretty good. The rattle cans sprayed quite evenly for what they were. The spray was actually close to a low to mid end sprayer. But what about primer or adhesion promoter? which do I use?

Old 04-16-2009, 02:30 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by itinerant
But what about primer or adhesion promoter?
If you're referring to plastic primer, it's just another term for adhesion promoter.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:31 PM

There's just regular run of the mill grey/black/red primers, and then there is a special primer called "plastic adhesion promoter". What's what? Since i'm messing with huge side skirts and lips, I dont want those to chip. Besides, they're close to the road.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:32 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by itinerant
There's just regular run of the mill grey/black/red primers, and then there is a special primer called "plastic adhesion promoter". What's what? Since i'm messing with huge side skirts and lips, I dont want those to chip. Besides, they're close to the road.
Gotcha, definitely hit it with adhesion promoter. You can then prime on top of that with whatever you want.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:02 PM

Woot, ordered about $100 in paint.