Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Wiring to install a spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Default Wiring to install a spoiler

Hey guys I just ordered a spoiler with a brake light for my 2009 Honda Civic LX. I was wondering if any of you guys that installed a third party spoiler on their car can you tell me on what side of the trunk do the wires connect for the spoiler? Sorry If my description was unclear. If it is unclear just ask and i'll write up a better description.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-10-2010, 08:03 PM
HCF Member

Well.... I just put an Acura Spoiler on my 1996, and i just tied into the third brake light, im unsure of your car, but i have a feeling it will be the same for you.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Largen
Well.... I just put an Acura Spoiler on my 1996, and i just tied into the third brake light, im unsure of your car, but i have a feeling it will be the same for you.
Any walkthrough available? I'm new to this so not really trying to screw it up on the first time around though. I'm sure it is the same but more info. would be really great and appreciated.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:33 AM
HCF Member

I can give ya a little write-up later on today probably, just need to see whats up....

Old 04-12-2010, 07:13 AM

^ Thank you in advance

Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 PM
HCF Member

Hey sorry for the delay, my computer has been dis-assembled, BUT heres the best i can do withought pics.

The spoiler you get should have a harness attached to it and it should have some connectors on the end (mine had bullet connectors) So once you get the spoiler positioned the way you like/want it, and you have drilled the mounting holes (and another hole for the wiring harness as well) what you will need to do is feed the spoilers harness through the trunk (assuming that the hole went in behind some of the structure of the trunk like mine did) until you have it through a hole and exposed.

Now at this point you will meed to have some electrical tools;

Soldering Iron/Gun
Heat shrink tubing
Wire Loom
Extra Wire
Solder
Spade Connectors (thats what i used at least)
Wire strippers
Zap Ties

thats all you will need to do a nice job that will never have any problems.

So what i did from there is i pulled the third brake light out of its housing and got its harness out as far as it would go, I then cut it and lengthened both ends of the harness with the addition of some new wire.

Then i put the harness back together using my male end spade connectors (so two wires into both male ends so i could then plug the new harness in and have a sort of three way connection going on) Once they are properly crimped and wont pull out of the connectors i went back to the spoilers harness, which was too short to connect to anything, so i lengthened it so it would reach the spade connectors i just installed on the third brake light. after that you put the female ends of the spade connectors on the spoilers harness, plug them in, and wrap them with electrical tape (just to be safe).

At this point the spoilers light should light up when you apply the brakes as well as the factory third brake light.

Now all you should need to do is put the wire loom on (looks way better and professional) and tie it all out of the way.

Any questions? (sorry it was quick, hope i made sense)

Old 04-14-2010, 09:05 AM

Good enough. Makes sense to read it. I just got my spoiler today and will keep you updated on how it went once finished installing.

Thank you by the way.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:21 AM
HCF Member

Hey no problem.