The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

American Muscle

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 10:55 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: American Mustle

well i have this 68 Chevelle ,

and i cant go ANYWHERE without people wanting to talk to me about it ...i LOVE this car .
I bought it a year ago and have driven it all the way fromSeattle to Redding Ca, with no problems , which is rare for car 35 yrs old?!?!..

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)
Dude.. thats very nice.. what all have you done to it?i like the 70 just a bit more.. i think its the rear quarter window on the 68's im not fond of.. lovin the cragers too

Yea try to find damn near any old dodge product fora decent price. BTW that was a big block and you can honestly make more power than that for cheaper. Take a small block 350(out of a old truck with 4 bolt mains) which you can pick up for damn near nothing, have the machine work done on the block which will run you $75 to $150 depending on what all is done. Get a set of 2.02 heads, a weiand high rise dual plane intake, 11 to 1 pistons, forged rods, and a 3.75 inch stroke crank. Add a nice lunati cam and your looking at the same power for around $2000 to $2500 then it gets fun because it will love a nice 175 to 200shot. Put that in a mid 80's Regal/Olds along with a 400 turbo transmission, a good stall converter depending on which cam you go with, a 12 bolt rear end with 4.10 gears and you will be yanking your front wheels and running 10's
marty shh... i might have to change my pants if you keep talkin like that

Old 10-21-2007, 11:04 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: steveabbott

well i have this 68 Chevelle ,

and i cant go ANYWHERE without people wanting to talk to me about it ...i LOVE this car .
I bought it a year ago and have driven it all the way fromSeattle to Redding Ca, with no problems , which is rare for car 35 yrs old?!?!..

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)
Dude.. thats very nice.. what all have you done to it?i like the 70 just a bit more.. i think its the rear quarter window on the 68's im not fond of.. lovin the cragers too

so far ive added 17 "wheels , set of hotchkiss lowering springs(not much maybe 1.5") and am in the process of building a 427 to throw in there this winter , i have every thing up to the cam kit now ..just having a hard time deciding which one to get , oh and i had a freind who owns a stereo shop make me some custom fiberglass front kick panel speaker enclosures ..they turned out SUPER good , in fact i think i made that guy a ton of money because all the hot-rodders who come to our shop see my kick panels and want them too !

im serious about not being able to go anywhere in that car without having to talk about it to EVERY single 50 yr old man i bump into ..lol...but its cool ...i mean no one EVER wanted to talk to me about 01' ford focus right??!.

J.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:11 AM
HCF Member

I had the same problem with my Impala, everybody thinks their your freind and wants to talk for hours lol. What stall is your converter and I can suggest a good cam

Old 10-21-2007, 11:17 AM

i was hoping to re-use the same 700r4 that came with the car when we swap the engine out ...it will work for a while i suppose(budget restraints lol) ..but i have no idea what s-conveter is in it right now ?...how sad is that ..but from tthe day i got it i have driven it every single day , so no real time to get in there and figure stuff out ,which is WHY i bought the honda in reality , to have something to drive so i CAN start tearing into it , i can find out monday tho? i really like the sound of whats in it right now ...not a potatopotatopotato but juuuuuust shy of that sound ..if that makes sense ...

Old 10-21-2007, 11:27 AM
HCF Member

Yea I know what you mean but I suggest to get away from the 700r4 with the big block because they are fairly weak, if you want to stay with the 4 speed auto I'd look for a 4l65e out of a 03+ GM 6.0 truck or GTO as they will handle around 400ft lbs of tq to the wheels in stock form and if you plan on using the 700r4 make sure it is a 700r4 and not a 200r4 and also make sure it is a 1984+ one from a V8 with a 30 spline input shaft. It can handle around 330wtq to 360wtq but a 427 is going to drown those numbers.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:45 AM
HCF Member

im serious about not being able to go anywhere in that car without having to talk about it to EVERY single 50 yr old man i bump into ..lol...but its cool ...i mean no one EVER wanted to talk to me about 01' ford focus right??!.
my dad has the same problemm in his 66 chevelle

its fun

Old 10-21-2007, 02:53 PM
HCF Member

No matter what 4-speed GM auto transmission you get it will be pretty weak in performance applications.
If your gonna stick with the 700R4 you should do a good rebuild and get a new sunshell and sprags drums, which alot of companies offer upgrades that are damn near bulletproof. along with a good valve body assembly and shift kit from transgo or B&M along with a good strong 1-2 shift servo and a good 3-4 servo as well, so you don't burn up bands like it was going out of style.

I would suggest at least a 4L60E which is not that much stronger, but at least it does away with the TV valve which needs periodic adjustment, cuz it can slack a little and you will lose line pressure and strip any friction material of your bands in just a few days. the 4L60E is just an electronically controlled version with a few upgrades here and there but nothing major. A 4L65E is a better choice but it is very expensive and will still need some upgrades to handle big block power.

If you have the funds and the power to neccesitate it, i would get a 4L80E which can handle the 8.1L Vortec V8 with no problems. but they are pricey, big and heavy, so there is a trade-off.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:14 PM
HCF Member

well we've got completely off topic of the originall post asking opinions for some projects.. haha but some good info floatin around

Old 10-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well AMERICAN MUSCLE doesnt have to be a 2door

i like my 66impala 4door hardtop. NOT TO BE CONFUSED with the 4door sedan
so i like to think my car is still somewhat rare...

heres a picture of a 4door sedan.

look ma.... no pillar

tho PLEASE CONSIDER... if you do a old school build......... IT WILL BE EXPENSIVE even if you do it all yourself!!!
i have ruffly 2K in paint products alone! not including the few months i spent sanding, sealing priming, and painting that i did all myself!
and i got lucky with my buy.... the interior was in GREAT CONDITION!!!!!! tho after driving it for awhile and being young i did my share of UGLY FOOLISHNESS to the car

best part about old school cars is you can PREATY MUCH SLAP IN ANY MOTOR tranny combo you can think of!!!!!!!
i mean COME ON..... LOOK AT ALL THIS SPACE UNDER THE HOOD.....

Name:  66impala004.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  65.1 KB

and thats a 400cubic inch motor from my dads old suburban i had the original 327 burning oil and never had the cash to have the heads completly rebuilt maybe one day i will.....
but with all that space under these hoods JUST THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU COULD FIT UNDER THIER hahahhaa

Old 10-21-2007, 06:10 PM
HCF Member

man thats a nice car addiction.. i love the split windows.. my dads 66 has it too.. but his is a two door so the quarters roll down instead of the back doors... you got a couple of nice potential powerhouses there byt he soudns of it.. 400 and 327.. nice little engines.. well not little.. but you know what i mean.. NICE SMALLBLOCKS haha my dad regrets selling his 327.. were thinkin of rebuilding our 400 this spring and putting it in his car.. he has the 350 in it right now.. he's thinkin of takin the 350 head off and putting htme on the 400 and makin a 383 stroke.. eitehr put it in his 66 ro in our 29 rat rod were building.. either one will rip.. and then i'll be rebuilding the 350 blcok inside and out.. and sell my HO 305

Quick Reply: American Muscle