The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

a fram oil filter killed my car

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 06:14 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: a fram oil filter killed my car

This is a dumb one to ask so far into a post... what does an oil filter do? Can it add horsepower or does it just keep the engine clean? Where is it on the car?

Old 09-19-2006, 08:22 PM
HCF Member

It filters the oil. Cleans it. It screws into your engine block. Most hondas have it on the back side of the engine above the driver side axel.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:37 PM

the fram filter didnt kill ur car...u said the oring from the one before came off and the fram one had 2 orings or somethin like that outa the box? if it did, u still should have known. before u put a new filter on ur supposed to rub some oil on the oring and get a lil bit in the filter with ur finger, and at that same time you would be able to see if the oring is ok. i've been using fram oil filter for over a year with no problems and my friends use it too without problems...plus theres always small manufacturing defects no matter wut company and ppl just get unlucky sometimes. im sure if this happened with a mobile 1 or k&n filter ppl would be saying stay away, their bad, etc...

Old 09-19-2006, 08:37 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: TheMoogly

This is a dumb one to ask so far into a post... what does an oil filter do? Can it add horsepower or does it just keep the engine clean? Where is it on the car?
I hope you dont change your own oil, because it MUST be changed at every oil change to keep the engine running its best

Old 09-19-2006, 11:00 PM
HCF Member

I'm sorry to hear that bro...., what is fram gonna do about it besides the claim package?

Old 09-20-2006, 03:32 AM

ORIGINAL: pWnEdU

For those who even consider using fram or are still using them. STOP! I'm seriouse.

And yes, always look out for the gaskets and rub a little oil on the gasket for a better seal. Don't forget to fill the oil filter with oil before installation to aid in priming the system.

But on a side note, installation of the oil filter on the d16 is a pita and basically doesn't allow you to fill the filter first...
LOL... been using FRAM the 11 years I've been driving... my dad has used FRAM or BOSCH filters... there's nothing wrong with FRAM... they do the job fine... and if you're changing the filter like you're supposed to, you shouldn't have any problems... the "double gasket" is user error... not FRAM's fault. ANY time you change your filter, you're supposed to wipe it down, check for the double gasket... and make sure the threads are tight... in the "biz" we called it "Wiped and tight" (Changed oil professionally for 3.5 years)... if you get anything from FRAM, consider yourself lucky... it's not their fault. AND... it's always a good idea to rub a light bead of oil on the gasket, it does 2 things... it makes for a better seal.. and it allows for less double gaskets in the future...

Old 09-20-2006, 03:42 PM
HCF Member

I have always used fram filters also. I guess sometimes **** just happens.

By the way. What ever happend to justinwebb? I havent seen a post by him in ages

Old 09-20-2006, 03:55 PM

i use parts master from the local parts store we get stuff from for work. my cost is like 2 bucksa filter, and they work fine.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:05 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: cyberx32

ORIGINAL: TheMoogly

I hope you dont change your own oil, because it MUST be changed at every oil change to keep the engine running its best
Heck no! I dont even change my own bulbs... I have no problems giving the money to a business... Plus liability reasons...

Old 09-20-2006, 07:55 PM
HCF Member

Car is like girlfriend. If you give your gf for somebody to take care of, you know what you'll get.

j/k but its better to change your own oil and know your own car man.

Quick Reply: a fram oil filter killed my car