The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

a fram oil filter killed my car

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:28 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: a fram oil filter killed my car

dude it was your fault for not checking the gaskets! fram is a crappy filter but that has nothing to do with your problem.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:05 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: cyberx32
I hope you dont change your own oil, because it MUST be changed at every oil change to keep the engine running its best
According to the owners manual, on modern civics you have to change oil filter every OTHER time you change oil. RTFM!
On the side note, I cannot understand why someone would use anything but OEM oil filter. The main reason is that oil filter quality is crucial for your engine longevity, and it does not cost that much.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Misha

ORIGINAL: cyberx32
I hope you dont change your own oil, because it MUST be changed at every oil change to keep the engine running its best
According to the owners manual, on modern civics you have to change oil filter every OTHER time you change oil. RTFM!
On the side note, I cannot understand why someone would use anything but OEM oil filter. The main reason is that oil filter quality is crucial for your engine longevity, and it does not cost that much.
That's also under "normal driving conditions"... extreme conditions include hot weather, cold weather, and stop-and-go driving... Think about it... you change the oil and not the filter... you're allowing the same contaminants that were in the old oil... and filter to reside in the new oil... kinda defeats the whole purpose, don't you think?

Old 09-20-2006, 11:53 PM
HCF Member

Don't you think honda engineers did not do their job right? I don't feel knowledgable enough to argue against their findings If I trust my life to their product, I can trust their judgement in this case, too
I do change my filter every time, though - this probably makes me feel smarter than them - my reply was to the word "MUST"

Old 09-21-2006, 12:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Misha

Don't you think honda engineers did not do their job right? I don't feel knowledgable enough to argue against their findings If I trust my life to their product, I can trust their judgement in this case, too
I do change my filter every time, though - this probably makes me feel smarter than them - my reply was to the word "MUST"
Understood, but if you read the "fine print" it probably states that if extreme conditions exist, the filter should be changed every 3,000 miles, same with the oil. (the original oil changes were for 6000 miles or something like that... but, that's if it's not under "extreme" conditions... which I can't think of many instances that it wouldn't be..) I was a "Certified Lube Technician" for 3.5 years... I kinda had to know this stuff... LOL

And, yes... Engineers aren't perfect... they make mistakes too... which is why some aftermarket products produce a more efficent running vehicle... and why Yugos aren't built anymore.... and why there are recalls... and part failures.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:31 AM

According to one car maker's owner's manual, the oil change interval is seven months or 7,500 miles under normal driving conditions, three months or 3,000 miles under severe conditions. This is how severe is defined in the manual:

* Repeated, short distance driving.
* Extended periods of idling or low speed operation.
* Extensive use of brakes.
* More than 50 percent driving in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 90 degrees F.
* Driving for a prolonged period of time in cold temperatures and/or extremely humid climates.
* Driving in dusty conditions or sandy areas.
* Driving in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are being used.
* Driving on rough or muddy roads.
* Driving in mountainous areas.

Found here... http://www.cars2go.co.nz/SITE_Defaul...eFrequency.asp

Technically, you don't HAVE to change the filter every time... it just doesn't make sense not to... it only saves $3-5... and can potentially infect your new oil with the contaminates and pollutants from your old oil...

Edit: This is from Honda's website...http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/mainten...t_schedule.asp
Severe
Follow the "severe" schedule only if you drive in one or more of these conditions most of the time:

Trips of less than 5 miles (less than 10 in freezing weather)
Extremely hot weather (over 90 degrees F)
Extensive idling or stop-and-go driving
Trailer towing, car-top carrier, or mountain driving
Muddy, dusty, or de-iced roads

3,750 miles Scheduled Maintenance
Recommended service for your 2000 Honda Civic:

Replace engine oil and filter.

Old 09-21-2006, 07:18 PM
HCF Member

Frankly, I'm confused.
We were talking about replacing the oil filter every or every other oil change. And now you are giving me a lot of controversial info about oil changing intervals. That's the whole forum (not even topic!) by itself.
What's the point?

Back to engineers - nobody is perfect, if you claim you are I will not believe you ( I mean I'm not perfect, too)[]
I could argue, that Yugo (as well as Moskvich for that matter) went underwater because of bad management, not engineering, but this will be off-topic
I do know, that all automakers (not only honda, all of them who do not want to go underwater) spend millions and millions on research and testing to make cars more reliable and to decrease cost of ownership, including increasing service intervals and decreasing service complexity. And I really doubt that jiffy lube (or whoever trained and certified you - nothing personal, I'm talking about companies here) spent even $1 on such a research. They just have different business objectives.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:46 AM

I had the same problem with an oil change. Had just changed the oil and filter, started the car and oil was everywhere. Took the filter off, which looked ok, but discovered that when I removed the old filter, the gasket had separated from the filter and was still attached. That taught me a lesson, be sure to put plenty of oil on the gasket of the new filter and make sure the old filter comes off with it's gasket.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:59 AM
HCF Member

i see. didn't knowfram used paper...
the last two filters that i've used are mobil1 and the one before that was honda oem filter. it's a rebuild y8 because i blew my engine. so far that's the only two kind i've used. i did use fram with the blown engine but it seemed to b ok, but i don't think i'll b using fram again with paper.
i just changed my oil today, and i did check the old filter to see if the ring was still on it and it was, but i didn't check the engine... so hopefully there's not another one on the engine except from the new filter that i just put. i test drove it after i put the filter and no leaks, so i guess it's fine.. i hope.
man, hope your engine is ok. it cost me a bunch to replace my blown engine, and it's not even a b serie

Old 02-28-2007, 08:32 AM
HCF Member

I used Mobil 1 filters, but my local PepBoys stopped stocking the one I need, so I just started buying NAPA filters...any opinions on those?

Quick Reply: a fram oil filter killed my car