The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

internet connection...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 03:41 PM
HCF Member
Default internet connection...

ok it my stupid pc is wierd... i get online by using my wireless, but i also have a modem and everything is good to go on it just plug and play BUT when i try to connect to it it wont connect me ,the modem is faster 100 mbs vs. 54 mbs wireless. before like 3 months ago it was opposite. my friend mess with the settings and then couldnt change it back. or it wont let me go to an earlier restore point??!! but my ? is how do i connect it by using the modem instead of using slow wireless???? thanks

Old 08-24-2007, 06:01 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: internet connection...

When you say modem, you mean ethernet right? What OS? The following instructions will work for XP but might not work for Vista. Right click on My Computer then click Manage. A window will open, click on Device Manager. Open the Network Adapters tab. There should be 2 devices in there. If one device has an X through it, it is disabled. Most likely the disabled device will be the ethernet adapter (if anything is disabled). If this is the case, right click and click enable. You might also want to disable the wireless adapter so the wireless adapter and the ethernet card don't fight over who should be connecting to the internet. If both adapter are present AND enabled (no red X), try to close the program that manages the wireless connections. Any more questions, post them. There are plenty of guys on here that know thier computers.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:25 PM
HCF Member

well i did everything and i tried to disable the wireless to c if the modem or ethernet wouldmake it go but nothing [:@]. they were both enabled so i shut down the modem one cause it didnt work. dont know crap about pc!! it doesnt have a network address, would that be it??

Old 08-24-2007, 08:10 PM
HCF Member

The network address should automatically be assigned by the DHCP server once you connect. Are you connecting the computer directly to the modem or through a router? If you have connecting to wireless via a router and connecting to the modem directly when using a wired connection, you may encounter a problem. When you connect directly to the modem, you might have to have software running to authenticate you when you. When you connect though a router, the router already has the username & passwordstored in its memory so it automatically authenticates you and assigns and IP address. The best way to connect when using DSL/Cable internet (in my opinion) is to connect via a router. Even if you are running a wired connection, connect your computer to the router and connect the router to the modem. The reason for this is that if you switch between wired/wireless, you will not have a problem. The second reason for this is that the router handles all the authentication stuff and you don't have to deal with it after you set the router up. Also, you can do useful stuff through the router like set up firewalls and stuff. What is your exact wired and wireless setup? When you connect to wireless, you are connecting to your own connection right? Because if you are stealing some1 else's connection, the problem could be related to the modem/ISP.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:53 PM
HCF Member

ok how do i connect my pc to the router? when i connect to the wireless i connect to someone else. ok im confused back when it did work i just pluged the ethernet cable to my pc and it worked and the wireless too. but one day my friend wanted to play a game with at the sametime and messed stuff up and couldnt go back and fix it![:@] but now when ihook up theethernet cable to my pc it connects cause it says in the bottom right ' connected' but when i try to open up a page it says not found.how can i do itthe easy way ur talking about??or how can i connect to router so i could get the ip adress or idk man what ever is missing. but plz help guys im tired of all this stupid bs?!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:20 PM
HCF Member

Not exactly sure what is all going on, but if you have a router connected to it and you can't go on the internet, probably something was played with in the router. There should be a button you can push in wish a pen or something to restore the router to the factory settings.

When you try to connect to the internet with your modem connection, your not already connected to the wireless are you? You would probably have to disable the wireless and make sure you have the wired enabled.

Give more information, like where is everything connected to from the modem onward?

Old 08-29-2007, 05:35 PM
HCF Member

no i dont have the wireless connected when i try to connect w/ the modem. ok i have the ethernet cable from my pc to the modem, the power cord to the outlet, and the white cable from the modemto the cable connection on the wall. the ethernet cable is connected to the one that fits on the back of the pc. but its my pc not the modem cause my roomate uses it just fine on his pc?!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:41 PM
HCF Member

You roomate hooks up to the same cable on your computer? What does he unhook it from your computer and to his when he wants to go online?

Old 08-29-2007, 05:48 PM
HCF Member

Are you sure there isn't software for the modem installed on your roomate's computer that isn't installed on yours? Try this. Click Start>Run and type CMD (you want to get to DOS prompt) and hit enter. When DOS prompt comes up, type "ipconfig /all" (no quotes). Post the results.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:49 PM
HCF Member

i use the wireless thats the only one that works but its slow so he has it most of the time. but thats y i wanna fix this dilemma so i could play online and stuff. btw i saw no reset button on the modem and its a motorola sb5100