The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Take That!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Cat Fuсker

No, it's just a pet peeve and a good example of where universal healthcare may bring us.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Roto
Ok, tell me how does welfare improve the state of the country?
Do you have an alternative? While we all seem to agree that the Welfare program needs reform, eliminating this dysfunctional yet important social service would likely lead to greater problems than those produced by having it.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:59 PM

Change costs money. Money that we will borrow from China because we don't have it! How much do we already owe them again? Enough to say that they own 1/4 of the country or not?
Well, we'd have money if it weren't for the war and the recent mistakes of the Republican party.
Maybe the taxes on the rich should only be temporary, just to get us out of this slump, and then reverse them afterwards.

I don't like McCain cause I don't like wars. I don't believe that with him we will get out of Iraq and Afganistan and won't get into a war with Iran. My take on it is - stop spending on things we shouldn't care much about rio goves a crap about now. Who cares about making Iraq a democracy? We went there based on lies and we are still being fed lies about it. Screw it, fix the infrastructure, cut the idiotic social programs, and kill the deathrow prisoners.
exactly, i hate how we are wasting so much money, time, and effort trying to help some other country while we let ourselves go into debt and the economy fall behind.

Ok, tell me how does welfare improve the state of the country? I can agree with things like insurance for kids whose parents are down the bottom and can't afford it. Paying for kids I can live with. Everything else needs to go.
Welfare currently for the most part doesn't, because it is abused. I already said that I agree and that it needs to be reformed and have stricter regulations. But I do agree with RonJ, it is probably helping us more than it would without it at all.
Everything else needs to go? So you support privatized social security?

Old 09-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Cat Fuсker

Originally Posted by RonJ
Do you have an alternative? While we all seem to agree that the Welfare program needs reform, eliminating this dysfunctional yet important social service would likely lead to greater problems than those produced by having it.

In fact yes. Instead of paying these people for sitting on their *** pay them for service. Make them clean the steets, fix the roads, wash the goddamn buildings, even pick weeds on the side of the roads out....make them do SOMETHING that is hard and pay them very little. That will encourage them to work somewhere else. Just don't give me the argument that they'll just go ahead nad add to the crime rate. Many of them do it anyway.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

...I in fact did go over both candidate's platforms since I was seriously considering voting this time, but looking at the "dumb and dumber" choices I might sit this one out since it doesn't matter. Both will give us nothing but bull****.
You owe it to yourself and the country to vote, whether it be Obama, McCain, or someone you write into the ballot. Participate in the process or you lose your voice, despite the fact that I may disagree with some of your viewpoints.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Cat Fuсker

The matter of fact is it doesn't matter. My voice to Ralphie won't matter just like it didn't the last election. I won't waste time voting for Ralph since I know he won't even get 5% this time.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:13 PM

In fact yes. Instead of paying these people for sitting on their *** pay them for service. Make them clean the steets, fix the roads, wash the goddamn buildings, even pick weeds on the side of the roads out....make them do SOMETHING that is hard and pay them very little. That will encourage them to work somewhere else. Just don't give me the argument that they'll just go ahead nad add to the crime rate. Many of them do it anyway.
Pasted Directly From Barack Obama's Website:
Help Americans Grab a Hold of and Climb the Job Ladder: Obama will invest $1 billion over five years in transitional jobs and career pathway programs that implement proven methods of helping low-income Americans succeed in the workforce.
Create a Green Jobs Corps: Obama will create a program to directly engage disadvantaged youth in energy efficiency opportunities to strengthen their communities, while also providing them with practical skills in this important high-growth career field.

That sounds oddly similar to what you're talking about.
The matter of fact is it doesn't matter. My voice to Ralphie won't matter just like it didn't the last election. I won't waste time voting for Ralph since I know he won't even get 5% this time.
A lot of peoples' votes didn't count in the last election. You can thank the Republican Party for that. In fact, my local House Representative, Tom Feeney (R) is responsible for that. Watch this video, it's by the guy who challenged him 2 years ago, and it's all true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7tjnuG-l6g

Old 09-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

In fact yes. Instead of paying these people for sitting on their *** pay them for service. Make them clean the steets, fix the roads, wash the goddamn buildings, even pick weeds on the side of the roads out....make them do SOMETHING that is hard and pay them very little. That will encourage them to work somewhere else.
I believe there is some merit to your idea. My guess of why such a program has not been implemented is because this would be the same as creating more jobs paid for by the public (taxes). I believe the idea of the Welfare program is to help the unemployed people get back on their feet so that they can find jobs in the private sector, though we both understand that this ideal is rarely realized.

Just don't give me the argument that they'll just go ahead nad add to the crime rate. Many of them do it anyway.
I truly believe that crime would substantially increase. The number of imprisoned criminals in the U.S. is already among the highest in the world. Where do you think the money to build, maintain, and manage prisons comes from? A flaw of our system is the emphasis on punishment over reform. We also need to create more opportunities for disadvantaged people for whom crime is the only viable option.

Last edited by RonJ; 09-04-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Cat Fuсker

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Pasted Directly From Barack Obama's Website:
Help Americans Grab a Hold of and Climb the Job Ladder: Obama will invest $1 billion over five years in transitional jobs and career pathway programs that implement proven methods of helping low-income Americans succeed in the workforce.
Create a Green Jobs Corps: Obama will create a program to directly engage disadvantaged youth in energy efficiency opportunities to strengthen their communities, while also providing them with practical skills in this important high-growth career field.

That sounds oddly similar to what you're talking about.

A lot of peoples' votes didn't count in the last election. You can thank the Republican Party for that. In fact, my local House Representative, Tom Feeney (R) is responsible for that. Watch this video, it's by the guy who challenged him 2 years ago, and it's all true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7tjnuG-l6g

Yes, I've seen that, however that's not what I mean. Abolish welfare and than do that. that may actually help. Plus for now those are empty promises. I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Cat Fuсker

Ron,

our prison system is more like a goddamn vacation for people sent there. It's supposed to be punishment and instead it's a networking forum for criminals who get food, get to work out, get concerts...WTF???

Quick Reply: Take That!