The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

They just cured HIV with stem cells

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:17 PM
HCF Member

Aids didn't appear in humans from banging a monkey lol. Monkeys live with aids unaffected, and the aids virus or whatever it is is in their brain. And in Africa monkey brains are a delecacy, so if you ate the brains of an infected monkey, BAM, you've got aids.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Cat Fuсker

Originally Posted by MBrent
this whole thread just hit close to home for me. maybe someone help me to see where im wrong, if indeed i am.
You see, just because something hit close doesn't make it any more valuable to anybody else, but you. Just like I have my opinions on nuclear power - because it hits close to home. Death is death. Disease is Disease. Somebody fuсked a monkey, somebody smoked themselves into lung cancer, somebody was a dumbаss and jumped off a cliff. There will always be people who get into something due to their stupidity and than there will be the unlucky ones who'll get the same thing without ever knowing how it happened. We'll all die one day. I just really hope that that day will not be too close to right here and right now.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:25 AM
HCF Member

^ What's your thing with nuclear power, Three Mile Island mishap? I find nuclear energy really interesting so I've looked in to a lot of stuff and what not, pretty amazing capabilities of nuclear power and the output is so high that the cost of the energy is insanely cheap.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Cat Fuсker

I was born 80 miles from Chornobyl. Grew up right next to it too. Three mile island is cupcakes compared to that.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:22 AM
HCF Member

You act like all the scientist are working solely on AIDS. They have all kinds of scientists doing work on all forms of conditions. These conditions are not simple to figure out. The AIDS virus being figured out and able to be stopped was a HUGE breakthrough. With the information received. Scientists now have a stronger knowledge, and WILL be able to use this new found knowledge in the fight of other conditions. Putting all of your resources in just one specific form would be a lot worse than our current style. This may be a waste to you, but its a GREAT finding for others. They are speculating that by 2015 we willl be an AIDS free generation. This, is HUGE.

Last edited by PunisherInOKC; 12-17-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:06 PM
July 2010 ROTM

i can tell my aids arguement is over. i dont want to start a fight with any members i feel like i am on good terms with. gene, i have never known of anyone who was exposed to what happened at chernobyl. i have only read about it. what was it like? i dont mean like glowing water, i mean like was it desolate and depressing or is (was) there life returning to the irradiated area?

Old 12-17-2010, 01:38 PM
HCF Member

Yeah it sounds really interesting.
mind sharing wat its like?

Old 12-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Chubby Chaser

Originally Posted by DaOne
Yeah it sounds really interesting.
mind sharing wat its like?
this lol

yes that is a real goldfish, nothing photoshopped

Old 12-17-2010, 02:00 PM
HCF Member

^haha that was one of the most famous photos of 2010 according to yahoo.

Please share about Chernybol. Like I said, nuclear energy is super interesting to me. Three Mile Island was still pretty serious though, especially when they lowered a camera in to the core a fwe weeks later to see that there was a meltdown since about 5 feet of the core was missing. Lucky as hell there was no China Effect, would've made it worse than it already was. Three Mile and Chernybol were both because of human error really. Three mile they were just idiots and overrode the system and turned off the valve for the emergency cool down because of a valve leak. And Chernybol they were doing some testing to try and get better efficiency which totally backfired.

Three Mile had the potential to be really bad if the meltdown caused the China Effect, which is just pure madness to think that something of that nature and how crazy it is could happen. But Chernybol was just screwed, with the radioactive particles in the sky and over the land. Crazy how many people died from Chernybol, especially the first people on sight, they died within days from the extreme radioactivity.

Nuclear pwoer really is a scary kind of power, but when controlled it is an amazing source of energy. In Wisconsin we have a plant, it is in Two Rivers, which is probably like an hour away from me. With all the accidents comes more knowledge, may not be the good way to learn, but now they are so strict on regulations and safety, they are a lot safer than before.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Cat Fuсker

Chornobyl is a little more than just "they were doing some testing". Don't believe ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING that you read that was originally published by Soviet press. Nothing EVER could happen on a strategic object in the soviet union without the higher up command knowing what was being done. You can visit pripyat.com and read quite a bit about it. They have an English section and a huge photo album. From what I know about the design of that particular reactor is that this was somewhat of an oversight in design and an unfortunate miscalculation.

There's quite a lot to be known about Chornobyl. #1 thing to know is that no - there are NO giant mutants or oversize crops or anything of that sort. Leave video games and nightmare stories where they belong - not in reality. I've been there. The area does have quite a variety of wildlife, but that's only because it's a huge 30km zone where there's almost no humans. There are people that live there, there are people that work there, there are idiots who steal things out of there and than sell this crap on the market to the unsuspecting people who can and do die from radiation sometimes. Like if you look up Rossoha - that's a place where a lot of the equipment used to liquidate the aftermath was stored. Those were perfectly good trucks that had perfectly good parts (except for one little detail fo course) and that was stolen and sold. There were sinks and tubs, and tiles, and everything else that was abandoned in the zone that was taken out and sold. I remember going to the market with a Geiger meter when I was shopping for food or any sort of used goods. Many times mushrooms or potatoes were damn near fatal. Think I'm kidding? They did clean up the area quite well. In many places people can live somewhat safely. It's not any more life threatening now than most major cities where there's everything from radiation to urethane fumes to other kinds of pollution. However there are places you don't want to be anywhere near. They sometimes are marked, but your Geiger counter will promptly inform you of them before you see the signs. It is funny how many people try to diminish the effects of Chornobyl on today's life in the region. Turning this thing into a political lever that generates funding and brings votes is I guess logical, but very sad to see. Officially there's not many people who died from the actual accident. Officially people who died from the increased number of cancer and other linked to radiation sicknesses were not victims of the event... Sure, there were "bribes" to the affected people in form of free crap like sending kids to the black sea on the government's tap, but really, there wasn't much done about anything. The collapse of the soviet union didn't help the cause. It's really quite a sad story. Very sad. Visit the site, read, feel free to ask questions. That's a topic I've dedicated quite a bit of time to.

Quick Reply: They just cured HIV with stem cells