Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

"Whining" Noise in Reverse

Old 08-31-2011, 05:41 AM

Good morning,
This is my first post to this forum. I have the normal "whining" that is being described here, however, when I put my car in reverse, in addition to the normal "whine" it has a loud "squeal" noise. A friend of mine that works on cars said he thinks it is the brakes, but there is plenty of pad. The sound is coming only from the rear right (passenger) side. I rode in the back seat this weekend and have become very worried as to what is causing the problem. I have researched on the internet and many posts have said it is a read differential problem, BUT then I have been told that is not possible because my car is front wheel drive. In addition to the loud squeal in reverse, there is a periodic "grinding sound" from the area. To me.....this sounds like two separate issues.

I want to take it to my dealer, but so scared they will tell me there are all sorts of problems with the car, when there isn't. I know very very little about cars, and you know how often car repair technicians will take advantage of someone who does not know much about cars.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks and have an awesome day everyone.

Carolyn

P.S. I have a 2007 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Old 09-01-2011, 04:03 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If you put the car in neutral and just let it roll backwards, does it still make the squealing noise?

Have someone stand outside the car listening while you drive past them (or vice versa) and try to find exactly where the noise is coming from.

Also you can use the jack to lift the car so the suspect wheel's tire is not touching the ground, then spin the wheel by hand. It should be smooth and quiet.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:13 PM

Thanks so much for the questions. Here are the answers to your questions.

If you put the car in neutral and just let it roll backwards, does it still make the squealing noise?

No. I did this multiple times, at different intervals, over the weekend

Have someone stand outside the car listening while you drive past them (or vice versa) and try to find exactly where the noise is coming from.

The noise is coming from the tire area, back, right, passenger side. I also had them stand outside while I rolled the car backwards while in neutral. There was no noise while in neutral.

Also you can use the jack to lift the car so the suspect wheel's tire is not touching the ground, then spin the wheel by hand. It should be smooth and quiet. Yes....it is smooth and quiet.

I also noticed I did not put in the original post that my car is a manual, 5 speed, 2007 EX Civic with approximately 79,000 miles. I am not sure if this makes a difference.
I sure hope this helps. Thanks so much again. Have a great remainder of Labor Day.

Carolyn

Last edited by CarolynTN; 09-05-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: To add type of transmission on car.