Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1.6 problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Default 1.6 problems

Help guys, I have a 94 civic ex, 1.6 vtec, with a 5-speed. My motor went out and I got a replacement with low mileage. I thought I was a good enough mechanic to put it in myself but apparently not. I have the motor in the car but I couldnt get it to start, so I guessed that it was 180 out of time. I have pulled everything back apart and now the timing marks line up but the rotor button is pointing the wrong way. I have a book but it has me so confused right now that I feel like an idiot. I guess my question is how do you get the rotor to point the right way? And can you tell if you have hurt the motor (bent valves) without pulling it apart to see? It doesnt rattle or knock or make any noise. I have spark and gas, and I double and triple checked all the wires and hoses. So basically I feel like a total noob right now and will listen to any suggestions. Thanks for the help guys. Chris

Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Rotate engine by hand until crank and cam pulley are at TDC1 (marks line up). Remove distributor and confirm that the slot in the end of the cam is vertical (perpendicular to the top of the head). If it is not, the key pin between the cam pulley and the camshaft is broken or missing. Install distributor with rotor pointing to wire #1. It's supposed to go only one way but it can sometimes be put on 180 degrees off. Put the distributor bolts in the center of the adjustment slots. Install plug wires 1-3-4-2 going clockwise around the cap. Cylinder #1 is of course the one closest to the timing belt.

After swapping engine confirm that all sensors are plugged in properly. The 3-wire plug with the solid white wire goes on the MAP not the TPS. Check the ground wires on the thermostat housing, easy to forget those.

If everything is in time but new engine still won't fire, do a compression test. Always unplug the low voltage wires to the distributor when cranking with the spark wires disconnected, firing into an open circuit is likely to damage the coil. If no compression check the valve adjustment before concluding the engine is bad.

Last edited by mk378; 04-26-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:12 PM

Ive got the crank and the cam lined up at tdc, but the rotor button points to the back of the car ( I think #4 ). I tried to pull it out and turn it, but it only seems to fit one way. I will check the sensor and the groung wire tomorrow. I did a compression test 2 days ago and got 105 lbs on #1, 90 lbs on #2, and 80 lbs on #'s 3 and 4. thanks for the help and I will update tomorrow afternoon.